Choice of fiberglass for strip planking hull

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jfblouin, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

I'm in process to put fiberglass (with Epoxy) on a new strip planking hull.

I'm looking for a layer of 17 oz (45-45) biaxe plus two 18 oz (0-90) Biaxe

Or two layers of 17 oz (45-45) biaxe plus one 18 oz (0-90) biaxe

Or one layer of 17 oz (45-45) biaxe plus one layer of 1808 (18 oz of 0-90 biaxe with 0.75 oz stiched mat) (I already have this stock).

What is yours suggestions or comments ?

Thanks

2. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

Hard to tell without knowing the boat length, use of the boat, frame spacing and thickness of the strips. If you use epoxy you don't need the mat. It's only required with polyester to make the plies stick to each other. Although it makes sense to use some mat as the outer layer to reduce print through. If you don't want to apply so many plies maybe find some quadraxial glass. It has fibres running in the 0, 90, +45 and -45 degree direction.

3. nero

nero Senior Member

as I understand it ... and if this is sheathed strip construction, the best choice is uni glass or uni carbon running across the strips at 90 degrees. Any other sheathing is for abrassion resistance, which is best to run with the planking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.