Canvas coverd decks

Discussion in 'Materials' started by splitshot, Oct 12, 2005.

1. splitshot

splitshot Junior Member

I am restoring a 1948 Chris Craft 23' Express and it has a lot of canvas that needs to be removed and replaced. My problem is I have no experience with measuring for amounts---how to put it down--or what to paint it with. I'm sure there is some mag.s or books that can help me out if I just knew about them...:confused:

I'm not a stickler on keeping the decks original--is there a alternative to canvas for the decks.

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Stained and varnished wood, if it is good enough shape after sanding.

3. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

There are a number of good alternatives to real canvas. Some restorers use synthetic cloth and epoxy. It can be , with practice, laid so as to look very much like canvas. It doesn't have the same feel under foot but it looks pretty good. One issue is that the kind of canvas used in "the good ol' days" is not available anymore. It rots considerably easier.
    I have laid it bedded in white lead and painted with enamel paint and achieved near bonafide results. Beware...It does tear easily though and it is always such a shame to have to drown one of your friends for such a lubberly error.

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Check out the WoodenBoat Forum, Build & Repair section, FAQ thread. Lots of good info there.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Canvas duck or sailcloth is available from several retailers. Substituting it with a different material and laying it with epoxy or other resin will most likely cause structural problems. You'll have a rigid structure fastened to a flexible one. Measure the amount of canvas you need. Cut is bigger so it has enough to grab it when you stretch it. The trick is to tighten it evenly so it doesn't have wrinkles. Depending on the installation it may have copper tacs, boat nails or staples on the edges. I suppose there is a trim to cover the edge. Upholstery pliers are great to work the material. The bedding can be lead paste or a mix of one part beeswax, one part boiled linseed oil and one part either latex or lead paste. Lay a coat of the compound and then put the canbas on top. Wet it after to shrink the material and make it tight. After it is dry paint it with a flat or semigloss enamel.