Building Spray rail... What wood??

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Tiara3100, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Tiara3100

Tiara3100 New Member

I have a 1984 31' Tiara that is a rather wet boat in a chop. I would like to add a spray rail to the hull. I have looked at some for sale on the net (Smartrail) and have decided that I would rather build my own.
    I plan on making it out of wood and the epoxying/screwing it to the hull and then glassing it over. The shape of the wood will be similar to quarter round moulding, probably 3" by 2.5". The wood needs to be strong yet bendable enough to shape. Any suggestions?

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

My favorite wood for that application is polyethylene, it's bendy, and not prone to splitting, cracking or rotting. If you insist on real wood, then a varnished piece of teak is never wrong.

For a glassed over rail I would use divinycell foam shaped to fit, and I would grind away all the gelcoat and mat down to the first roving 3-4 inches above and below the rail, so you have a shallow recess where the tabbing lands.

Yoke.

3. Tiara3100

Tiara3100 New Member

where would I get polyethylene in the correct shape?

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

If you want to use wood, Honduras Mahogany is good. It is dense, takes fasteners and glue well, and it holds an overwrapping laminate.

I have also recommended the SmartRail to a number of people, and they all report very good success with it.

For an interesting article on the lifting strake modification to Blue Bill, a Wilbur 34, you can visit my website at: http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/Bluebill.htm

I hope that helps.

Eric

5. Tiara3100

Tiara3100 New Member

Thanks Eric...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.