Building blocks for mould/plug construction?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Splint, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Splint

Splint Junior Member

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out what options are available for constructing a base for composite moulds and plugs. Often people use materials with a density similar to polystyrene, they carve/route that then apply a tooling paste to do the finishing cuts. Sometimes on larger projects a wood frame is constructed and foam and/or tooling paste is applied over that.
    Is there any modular reusable systems? I was thinking of something along the lines of an industrial version of Lego (as in kids toy Lego) building blocks.

Cheers
    Splint

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Clipship

Splint, quite a few years back there was someone down the coast marketing something called clipship, it was like some kind of interlocking strip plank that was set up into female station forms to make a temporary mold, I only saw a vague photo in a magazine ad so thats all I know about it except that the surface still required some sanding & that it might have been in Bomaderry or Nowra. All the best from Jeff.

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

wood and fiberglass,, and put splits in it anywhere you want, then bolt together and bolt apart as needed.paint everything with tooling gel,and prep properly.it'll be strong, sturdy,movable, and easy to repair when ya get a chip in it

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.