Bi-axial vs Woven rowing

Discussion in 'Materials' started by TomE, Dec 21, 2005.

1. TomE

TomE Junior Member

Is there a simple rule of thumb for how biaxial e-glass compares to woven rowing/Cloth of similar weight?

I'm thinking of using a single layer of 9 oz biaxial instead of two layers of 4 oz cloth each side of a stripper canoe (epoxy).
    How would these compare weight and strenght wise? There is 12,5% extra fibers in the biaxial I found avaiable - to simplify things, let's say it's 8 oz.

Both materials has 90 deg angle between fiber orientations (0/90 and +/- 45) and equal amonts of fibre, and should be easily comparable.

Am I right in thinking that strenght will be unchanged, stiffness increased, elongation reduced and fiber/resin ratio improved? Any rule of thumb to how much this will amount to in percent? Literature/formulas?

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Tom,

Short answer to your questions: Yes. However, cloth might behave better going around the compound curvature of a canoe.

Yoke.

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

We are going to test this, but I imagine that the woven fibres have to straighten out before they absorb any significant stress. So a sandwich with biaxial will be stiffer than one with woven roving/cloth.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.