Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Materials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 03-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 9
Best fibreglass for kayak build

Hi all, any advice which weight and weave is best for sealing and strengthening a Stitch and Glue kayak build. I need cloth and tape. I looked into kevlar but it is too expensive for me.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Yacht Designer/Builder

Rep: 3733 Posts: 14,669
The best stuff is going to be expensive. You'd be best advised to use the fabric the design recommends. Each design will have a set of "scantlings" that cover how much of what and where to put it.

Which kayak are you building?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 PM

I haven't decided yet. It will definitely be S&G SOT, but I haven't decided on a design at this stage. I want to do an estimate of cost before I start. I have noticed on the various forums that people often change specs based on their personal preferences and experience.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Yacht Designer/Builder

You can make changes to a design, but the wise builder does so after consulting with the designer or by making similar substitutions (similar physical attributes). In other words, you can substitute pine for spruce, but it wouldn't be wise to substitute pine for oak.

In regard to changing scantlings (the dimensions and/or specifications) of things, again do so with care, if not designer approval. It's really easy to screw up a design making what seem to be innocuous choices, just to find you've created dramatically increased stress risers or localized loading issues. Most novices and backyard builders haven't a clue about engineering cantilever beams or point loaded structural elements, so it's best to stick with the plans.

Most canoes and kayaks are covered with light weight cloth. 4 to 8 ounce (140 - 270 g/m) 'glass cloth for sheathing with either regular cloth (not very strong) or biax (preferred) tape for the seams. Again, it depends on the design.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Rep: 90 Posts: 175
West, RAKA and MAS just to name a few epoxies.

Dino
Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 AM

Yes, it seems that trusting the experience of the designer is the way to go. Particularly the better known ones. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 AM
Yacht Designer/Builder

Without a fair bit of engineering or practical industry experience, this is always the best advice. If you want a light and strong structure, it needs a some serious material properties understanding and engineering to specific strength goals.