Best fibreglass for kayak build

Discussion in 'Materials' started by goanywhere, Mar 27, 2011.

1. goanywhere

goanywhere Junior Member

Hi all, any advice which weight and weave is best for sealing and strengthening a Stitch and Glue kayak build. I need cloth and tape. I looked into kevlar but it is too expensive for me.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The best stuff is going to be expensive. You'd be best advised to use the fabric the design recommends. Each design will have a set of "scantlings" that cover how much of what and where to put it.

Which kayak are you building?

3. goanywhere

goanywhere Junior Member

I haven't decided yet. It will definitely be S&G SOT, but I haven't decided on a design at this stage. I want to do an estimate of cost before I start. I have noticed on the various forums that people often change specs based on their personal preferences and experience.

4. PAR

You can make changes to a design, but the wise builder does so after consulting with the designer or by making similar substitutions (similar physical attributes). In other words, you can substitute pine for spruce, but it wouldn't be wise to substitute pine for oak.

In regard to changing scantlings (the dimensions and/or specifications) of things, again do so with care, if not designer approval. It's really easy to screw up a design making what seem to be innocuous choices, just to find you've created dramatically increased stress risers or localized loading issues. Most novices and backyard builders haven't a clue about engineering cantilever beams or point loaded structural elements, so it's best to stick with the plans.

Most canoes and kayaks are covered with light weight cloth. 4 to 8 ounce (140 - 270 g/m) 'glass cloth for sheathing with either regular cloth (not very strong) or biax (preferred) tape for the seams. Again, it depends on the design.

5. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

West, RAKA and MAS just to name a few epoxies.

Dino

6. goanywhere

goanywhere Junior Member

Yes, it seems that trusting the experience of the designer is the way to go. Particularly the better known ones. Thanks.

7. PAR

Without a fair bit of engineering or practical industry experience, this is always the best advice. If you want a light and strong structure, it needs a some serious material properties understanding and engineering to specific strength goals.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.