Bambo fiber as a glass substute

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Boston, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

stumbled on this site selling oriented bambo fiber cloth as a substitute for fiberglass on surfboards.

thought it might be worthy of discussion here, eventually my own build might just end up with a coat of glass on it somewhere and I'm just looking for alternatives. Gotta do the eco friendly thing you know, although this stuff, unlike the ecopoxy peanut based epoxy this bamboo stuff is waaaaaaaaayyyyyy expensive.

http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/bamboo-fiberglass.aspx

1 person likes this.
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you want to go ecofriendly, recycle an old rowing boat. The fibers have little or not impact on the environment. It is the resin, hardener, fairing compound and solvents that do.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Look up the tensile and compressive strengths of Bamboo fibers, then compare this to 'glass and you'll see why it's not taking the industry by storm Dan.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I think its main advantage is its flexibility, but its price and its weight raises some questions. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see what folks might have used it and what they thought of it.

Its something like 1.5x heavier than glass of the same strength, so a 6 oz of bamboo is about as strong as 4 oz of glass. But its got huge flexibility before it fails. Seems like as a dressing for say strip planking it would have some advantages.

I don't know I was just throwing it out there. Might have applications in the boating world might not

5. MechaNik

MechaNik Senior Member

Sounds like another half attempt at a Green concept. Focus on one aspect and ignore every thing else.......
    If the fiber hasn't got the strength you possibly using more epoxy than needed which is the real issue?

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

It's wooden thou but anyway.. :)

Attached Files:

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Considering the density difference, the laminate will be about three times thicker. That is a lot more goo and I'd say less green.

8. PAR

The green thing aside, bamboo has an elongation issue with most resin systems. You can use one of the modified epoxies (like G-Flex), so your fibers fail about the same time as the resin, but you take a huge stiffness and strength hit when you play with reinforcements like this in regard to a hull shell.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

and the search continues

the majority of the issues with going "green" can are resolved for me by using the peanut based epoxy.

If I used the bamboo cloth, and its expense is going to be just one of the issues involved, I'd be looking to it as a dressing for the outside of a wood build. Its stiffness wouldn't be as much of an issue as its weight, which is a definite issue. For less money I could go with kevlar except that I'm a small fish in a big pond and cant really afford kevlar.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can build a wooden boat fastened with trunnels and lashings.

11. PAR

Popsicle sticks and the sticky remains of the lollypop?

12. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

i was also considering bambo (seems ecolo for its regrowth) , but it seems that okoume ply from china is way less expensive and does the job. But i am looking at Innegra hybrids with glass. I am also looking at the "skin" designs, no more foam "fatigue" . This is a new way of thinking for me, but perhaps the outerskin can be thin-ply for the fairness of the outer paint job. Looking at Alexseal paint system, sexy stuff.
    This opens the mind to an hovercraft catamaran possibility, in shallows and hightides seems so practical. Compromise compromise ...
    We use carbon fibers on a regular basis, it is light and stiff, but ...

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you might avoid Chinese ply, it gets a pretty bad rap by most of these guys

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Speaking of Chinese ply...I recently bought a sheet of no name , 12mm "Marine" okume, chinese stuff from a local lumber supply. 100 euro, not cheap. The ply was for bilge storage boxes so I wasn't to concerned about quality. Well I built the boxes and left the cutoff scraps of 12mm outside on the shipyard hardtop , under a work bench, to be used in future as clamping pads. It rained for a few days and those rainwater wet scraps of 12mm chinese marine ply delaminated before my eyes !!!!! I could separate the plys with my fingers. BEWARE

15. Petros

Petros Senior Member

The measure of the resources consumed is the cost. If it costs more to manufacture than it is not "green". Fiberglass is not even as stiff as wood, so using something even less stiff than fiberglass means you will not be adding any strength, only a resin and fiber "cover".

Bamboo has little rot resistance compared to some types of wood, so any moisture intrusion would soon rot. If the whole assembly does not last as long as fiberglass, than is also indicates it is not a "green" way to build. Costs more (uses more resources) and does not last as long is NOT green.

Making something more durable that lasts longer is more green than using a labor intensive "natural" fiber that will break down too fast.

Do not get suckered into spending more money on infirior materials thinking you are doing something good for the environment. The "greenest" thing you can do, as Gonzo pointed out, is restore an old boat that was otherwise going to the land fill. Even greener is to stay at home and watch radio, you use far fewer resources than building or using a boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.