Awlgrip or Sterling?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jbassion, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

I have used AwlGrip with good results both roll and tip and spray. The local coating supplier is trying to sell me on Sterling for my current project, a 38' sailboat. Has anyone had any experiance with Sterling? I would like some feedback before I mortage the house to buy paint.

2. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

I have used a bunch of Sterling. The reason for using it, was during the many formulas of Awlquip and problems with bubbles and fisheyes and curing problems, and the use of Awlquip being primarily sprayed, I did not have the luxuary of papering off huge amounts of parts to do and redo sections of larger hulls when work was an on going progress of total refits. I also did not have the advantage of redoing paints on small sections of a boat, in open areas that would create an issue with overspray when spraying a small area or repair. I found that Sterling worked wonderfull and in my particular I also have a skiff that has it on it, that is now 8 years old, and still easy to clean and still holding its shine.

I still use the primers from awlquip when I need two part paints, but will order in more Sterling to redo my own skiff, since its a cold moulded skiff with glass skin. Thats the building schedule for my flats or shallow water skiff.

FWIW, Merritt Boat Works in Pompano Beach used Sterling on almost all of their sportfishing hulls, that were in for routine upgrades and ongoing maintainance , mostly all brushed in the water.

3. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

You can brush both Awlgrip and Sterling with very good results. In fact I would dare to say a skilled roll tip team can outfinish even a good spray guy. The only things I noticed in using them both:
    The Awlgrip topcoats seemed to have more solids than the Sterling. I got better coverage out of the Awlgrip
    The colors from Sterling were a lot nicer colors for traditional boats. A little less racy and more like the old colors we used to know. They are still very glossy if you choose to finish it that way.
    I'm with Oyster on the primers ,I still like Awlgrips primers better.

4. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

A short caviat to brushing is the thinners for brushing Sterlings, in my opinion is better. Thats just my observation. I will even use the awlquip primer thinners in the topcoats of awlquip in lieu of the brushing thinners suggested by Awlquip.

5. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

Thanks for your input. Sterling is sounding better all the time. The part I like the best is that it can be repaired. I have heard the the flow is better in Srerling so that it rolls and tips with better results. It took me 4 times around on my old 27' with Awlgrip until I got a good finish, sanding between each coat. I havent decided if I am going to spray my 38'. Propably will. Because I have to do the deck also - a real pain to roll and tip well. The only unknown I have is the gloss. Is it as good as Awlgrip?

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Hey, big guy, still fooling around with boats? You learn hard don't you. Kidding aside, you'll have good performance with Sterling. Many shops in this area use the stuff, because of it's forgiving nature.

7. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

Morn'n Par

By the time I finish this one I'll be ready to work for you!

I guess I'll go with the flow and spray Sterling over a rolled and tiped (for thicker build) Awlgrip Primer. Know where to get a good price?

8. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

9. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

Nice wrte-up Shine - good pictures

Couple of questions. I am painting a 38' sailboat. I have all ready sanded the old paint off down to gel. Do I still need to use the heavy primer? I didn't buy stock in 3M. Your write-up didn't mention the recommended numper of finish coats. Awl-grip is 4 coats. I'm assuming Sterling would be the same. How do you figure the Sq. Ft. of the hull? And the $64,000.00 question---How do you get a straight boot line!!

10. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Boot stripe - use tape and follow the water line - hopefully you didnt sand it off:D

The high build primer (epoxy) is what will have the strongest bond to the gelcoat/glass - it sand easy if you go after it within a couple days of application. I you wait a couple weeks you will use a lot more paper. If you are going to wait a couple weeks to sand then maybe you go long on 3M puts:)

Coverage will be the same as Awlgrip, darker colors sometimes take more coats to get it even.

Joel

11. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Speaking of 3M , scrubbies works best on non skid

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.