Applying gelcoat as top coat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by wet-foot, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I always use at least 6 coats of mold release, and give the mold a good cleaning with mold cleaner first. I don't let it sit, wax then layup. Hope this helps.

2. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

So you clean the mold then wax and polish 6 coats one after another - then do the lay-up?

3. Corpus Skipper

Yup. :D

4. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Gelcoat

Corpus Skipper,
    Your posts have certainly helped point me in the right direction, thanks so much. Make sure and let us all know when you get those new boats ready for market. Would enjoy checking them out on your website!!!!!!! Best of luck with your boat building business.

5. Corpus Skipper

Thanks, and I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

6. Skip M.

Skip M. New Member

Brushable Gelcoat

Brushable Gel Coat was mentioned early on in this thread. I know this discussion was some time ago, BUT...Where would I find brushable gel coat. What product name should I be looking for?

7. Corpus Skipper

There is an additive, I believe, that makes gelcoat "brushable". You will still have a considerable amount of sanding and polishing to do to achieve a smooth, glossy finish. I've found that short of spraying, rolling gelcoat on achieves the best results. Nothing will make it perfect unless it's laid up in a polished mold.

8. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

If this was a new mold 4 coats aren't enough and you need to wait between coats. Did you rewax it each time, or just before the first part?

You can use PVA on the mold for a more reliable release, but the surface may not be as good when you demold the part, so you may need to sand and buff it to get a good gloss.

Adding some Duratech clear will help it level when brushing.

9. redfox

redfox New Member

Hello Corpus Skipper !

I note that you answered a question that I have at the moment about gelcoat rollers back in 01-26-2005.

I am currently doing a gelcoat repair job on a sailboat rudder, I have applied two coats so far with reasonable success, using a new roller each time.

I'm using gelcoat thinned with acetone and notice that I get thin elastic type strings coming off the roller about 2 - 3 minutes into the rolling job. I suspect this is the roller material breaking down and "stringing out". I think my roller material is polyester fibre.

You mentioned a "white with an orange spiral stripe really plush" roller from Home Depot that could be washed with acetone.

Can you give me any more detail ? Like type of roller material or Home Depot part number ?

Regards

Lorne Dudley
    Kingston, Ontario

10. Corpus Skipper

All I can tell you is that they are four inch rollers, and come two to a package. Haven't bought any in a couple years since the economy cratered and my repair business dried up. They will leave a little "fuzz" at first, but they don't disintegrate like others will. Sorry I can't be more help.

1 person likes this.
  11. redfox

redfox New Member

Hello Craig !

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw something at Home Depot with an orange spiral about 4 " long. (about 1 " dia. I think).

I can give those a try by soaking in acetone and see if they disintegrate.

Someone on another forum is advising that I should not be using acetone to thin the gelcoat. Do you have any advice on that topic ? Is there any other thinner that would work better ?

I am finding that my gelcoat lumps up quickly if I do not thin it a bit.

I have two layers on so far, and other than the roller breaking down about 2 minutes into the process, I'm getting good results. I can complete the application in about two minutes. (30" x 9" x 2" rudder area).

Regards

Lorne

12. Corpus Skipper

I only thinned gelcoat when spraying with a paint gun. Acetone is the right stuff to use, but only a little. By the way, it's the styrene in the gelcoat that eats lesser rollers. You will not get a perfectly smooth, paint like finish with gelcoat. It must be sanded and polished to be smooth and shiny, so it's best to lay it on thick if that's what you want. If you're happy with your results so far, then keep on keepin' on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.