Apple for strips?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Neverbehind, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Neverbehind

Neverbehind Junior Member

I was just wondering if anyone new if it was practical (or possible) to create strips from apple trees, i have alot with new other use for them so i'd like to not waste them.

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

not trying to be funny; but if you have enough for a cord or two, cut em down and package them in small little bundals , youve seen at the carry out or gas station for sale for 5 bucks? wraped in plastic .sell yours for 10 during the holidays ,,,thanksgiving,,, christmas,,,they make great burning for the season,then you can buy what you want .again Im not trying to be funny but I dont think they have a marine use.longliner

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Sorry guys can't see the reason for chopping them down at all unless they've stopped bearing fruit! But if they have go with Longliner the smell in the old fire is rather - er nice! Bit 'Pansy' I know but pansy is the new PC

4. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Fruit tree is good for burning and BBQ......... That's the truth...... because the non fruit tree turn into plywood..... :D:D:D lol

But u can consider carving it for decoration in your boat...... or model boat at best.....................................:D:D:D..................

5. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Sorry..never have experience with apple wood..just for my own knowledge..is it hard wood or soft and light,whats the colour ?can it be polished?does it have beautiful burl like Amboyna or Angsana ?

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

7. Wellydeckhand

That I agree with........... Indonesia it is still an import wood material LOL...... would make people see wonder.......... why......LOL :D:D:D

8. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

If those are apple woods..Raggi Thor..that's very beautiful man..I don't know how many you have Never behind..looks like you can make arrangement to sell the load and utilise the profit to buy new boat..:) Welly have some stock of Ulin..:)any body interested in yellow Amboyna Rosewood? :)

9. Wellydeckhand

I have tonnes of ULIN but cant export that all:D:D:D

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Apple wood is very dense and fine grained. Among other uses, making pipes is one of them. Milling it is not different from any other species. You need to saw and plane it.

11. nero

nero Senior Member

For strip planking, the wood grain needs to be straight, not twisted, and not curved. All the apple trees I have seen are not this. I used some for carving blocks. If I remember, it was somewhat like cherry but softer. There are several types of apple trees.

Also, strip planking for most designs, benefits from a light weight wood that is strong and not brittle.

12. justinbauer

justinbauer Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.