Apitong vs Birch

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Barnacle Bob, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Barnacle Bob

Barnacle Bob Junior Member

Building a deck with 3/8" marine grade plywood... I can get Apitong or Finn White Birch for the same price in 4x8 sheets... which should I use.

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I suggest you look at both in person . That will answer all your doubts. Mfg. quality is more important than any type of wood.

3. Barnacle Bob

Barnacle Bob Junior Member

Apitong vs Finn Birch

I have samples and have seen full size sheets. They are both nice... no voids, so it just boils down to which wood is more durable in a marine environment... The info I posted seems to point to Apitong... being somewhat like oak... There are different species of Birch... American yellow Birch... white Birch... but this birch is from Finnland, so, its different.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Take the samples and boil them for 8 to 24 hours. Then decide which to chose.

FAST FRED

5. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

What boat floats in boiling water ?---------------I build all my boats with ONLY Tite Bond II and NO glue joint has ever failed. Yes, the surfaces are varnished for protection.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The boiling test is a really cheap way to fid out how good the glue in any plywood is.

What YOU use is fine , boiling tests what the ply mfg used.

FAST FRED

7. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

I tried to boil a sample of birch plywood and after 1 hour, I found 5 small birch vener.

8. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

JF. You gave me a great laugh. Many thanks.

9. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Finn Birch is lovely stuff really, for a light strong structure it is tough to beat. It is usefull for aircraft construction. But I'm afraid that it is prone to almost immediate fungus growth upon the its introduction to humidity. It would require a barrier to be useful in the marine environment. I have used it on decks, however, and it was great with epoxy encapsulation.
    The Apitong I have used was actually the cradle wood used to ship large boats from the Orient. My impression was it was very resistant. Not "Teak" kind of resistant, but quite reliable in the marine envioronment. As I recall it was tough and held fastenings well but tended to rough up my cutting tools.

Hope that helps

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.