Anyone using SS staples?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Bob S., Feb 16, 2006.

1. Bob S.

Bob S. Junior Member

I was curious if narrow crown ss wire staples (up to 1.5" long) would be appropriate for wood boat projects? Not sure of the alloy used (I believe they are #316). Pnuematic stapling would be very handy for stitching things together in conjunction with epoxy and other adhesives to eliminate a lot of clamping.

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Monel is better and sythetic ones are even better. The big problem with synthetic ones is the pneumatic stapler that is required to drive them is quite expensive. No need to remove them...you can sand them right off.
    In my experience far superior for boatbuilding purposes once you are set up.

http://www.raptornails.com/raptornails.html

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

4. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Yeah...definitely. In the old days we tried al kinds of ways to pulll those G*# D&#n staples out of cold molding. This way you just leave them.
    I have seen where guys have left the stainless staples in and glassed over them thinking that the glass and epoxy would protect them. Some years later you could see lumps under the skin where the staples were corroding.

5. Bob S.

Bob S. Junior Member

That is interesting that the ss staples corroded and caused problems. I wonder if they were #304 alloy and/or would #316 staples also get punky? Thanks for the link to those plastic staples. They don't seem to have any way to order them or the nailers online or any pricing. Guess they want you to call. It appears that a standard coil nailer will handle some of the nails however.

6. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Some of the nails seem to work OK and are great for strip planking but I would not recommend trying to use the staples without their recommended tool.
    The boat that had the problem with SS did not have the interior side sealed. (not to be confused with ceiled, another thing altogether) Hadit been glassed or at least epoxy coated the problem probably would not have occured.

7. MRRPM

MRRPM Junior Member

I am not sure on this but>> I think if the stapples corode the are stainless but a lower grade lik 401 or 302 as for the structural integurity. They are yused a lot in construction of building in damp areas.

I am only putting my 1/2 cense innot 2 cense
    Robert:confused:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.