Anyone use fentress poly lumber / starboard.. etc?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by fireblade600, Aug 22, 2005.

1. fireblade600

fireblade600 New Member

i searched this forum for about 45 minutes and couldn't find any discussions on 'plastic' marine plywood, poly lumber, starboard, or whatever you call it in your area. I was looking to replace the bow 'seat' in my 18' starcraft center console boat (it's the only part of the boat that needs repair) and thought it might be easeir than fibreglassing over marine plywood. has anyone used this for this stuff and what is your recommentation. I was looking into 1/2" white poly board but wanted to incorporate 2 or 3 storage hatches into the 'seats' as well for the anchor, fenders, ets. Or is this product looked down upon by the boat building community..

thanks in advance for your thoughts...

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's an excellent product if used within the limitations of it's abilities.

It's waterproof, easy to machine and shape, but has little if any structural qualities. If your seat is narrow, doesn't span a big hole and is well supported, it will work well as a seat or locker lid. It can't be glued well, welding is the only way it can be permanently joined with another piece of itself (like PVC pipe) It makes great cutting boards and other items that don't require them to be self supporting (the no structural strength thing) It's also quite heavy, considering it can't support it's own weight, this and the inability to easy glue it makes it use limited to decorative items, such as cup holders and the like.

Log onto the web site of the product you intend to use and the manufacture will be realistic about it's uses (usually) plus recommend ways to bond sections of it to other materials and itself.

3. fireblade600

fireblade600 New Member

thanks for your input PAR, it looks like i might have to go marine plywood and epoxy for structural reasons since the remaining surface area (after cutouts for storage hatches) will be minimal on some sides. I'm glad you brought that up b/c i didn't even think that would be an issue after looking at a piece of 1/2" at a local marina and feeling how strong it 'felt' in my hands. I will keep it in mind for other non-weightbearing projects.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's an excellent surface treatment, easy to clean and tough on casual abrasion. Don't give up on the stuff, it could provide a nice surface to a supporting substructure. I've had less then good results trying to get screws to hold fast to the stuff, but in non-structural applications where you're just attaching it to a frame or surface, fasteners will be adequate. Maybe a 1 x 2 framing with star board attached from behind with screws (through bolts?) would be a way to go. With well matched joints and a bead of caulk (there's special goo for this stuff) you'd have a non-rotting covering. You could also machine the joints to self lock (blind dove tail, etc.) so it wouldn't have beads of caulk everywhere and provide a hidden place, for any sealant necessary, to live out of sight.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.