AMERICAN Screws

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Texas Boater, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Texas Boater

Texas Boater Member

So far the only US manufacturers I have found are:
    Narragansett Screw Company ( http://www.narragansettscrew.com/ )
    Reed & Prince Manufacturing Corp (http://www.reedandprincemfg.com/index.html )
    and of course Goulet Specialties .
    Everyone else either does not manufacture wood screws or wood screws
    in silicone bronze or just imports.
    I will soliciting a quote from all three to see where the price and
    delivery spreads out.

2. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Aren't we all, brother.... aren't we all...

3. jcleese01

jcleese01 New Member

American made wood screws

This post was brought to my attention from a friend of mine, so I figure I should try to help with any questions. First off, my name is Charlie and my company's name is Goulet Specialties. We are, to the best of my knowledge, are the only manufacturer of tapered, cut-thread wood screws. About three years ago we bought the former Whitney Screw equipment from Narragansett Screw. We are located in the same town, and therefore work together, in competition. I have different manufacturing capabilities then they do and vice-versa. Manufacturing is very tough in this country, so we American companies have to stick together.

As far as which one is stronger, rolled or cut, it depends on what kind of thread you are talking about. For machine screw threads, roll threads are the best, the post I saw earlier was correct stating about rolling the grain structure makes the fastener stronger, but for wood screws its not the same. When rolling wood screws, because of the deep root and coarseness of the thread the grain structure of the material fractures leading to a weaker fastener. For wood screws cut-threads are the best. We were wondering just how strong our parts are, we took a 3" x #10 square drive and screwed it straight into a piece of dry oak from a skid without a pilot hole. The screw pulled right into the board until the head was flush. You should try that with one of our competitors screws and see what happens. If it breaks, remember thats what is holding your boat together.

If you have any questions or would like to get some prices just email me at charlie@oemfasteners.net or visit the website www.oemfasteners.net

Thanks, Charlie

4. Man Overboard

Man Overboard Tom Fugate

O-K, now that is impressive; if you can do that with 10 of them in a row, that is even better. Good post, I have bookmarked the companies.

5. jcleese01

jcleese01 New Member

I could do that with a whole box of them. Thats what makes our parts the best. In fact I think I will this weekend, I got a seasoned oak log in my wood pile, I will split it in half and see how many screws goes in before one breaks. I will post the results next week. Later, Charlie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.