Aluminum vs. Galvanized Steel

Discussion in 'Materials' started by WAHiggins, May 26, 2005.

1. WAHiggins

WAHiggins New Member

Ignoring any cost difference, which is the better material for a boat trailer in salt water, aluminum or galvanized steel? Is there any concern with galvanic
    corrosion between aluminum and stainless steel fasteners?

2. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

aluminum is the way to go.no trouble at all seem to last forever.these folks make a great trailer.http://floaton.com/

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Aluminum, other metals, not great coatings on the metals and lots of humidity year round? Pick very carefully. Wash the tight spots on the trailer with enough fresh water to remove weeds and the salt.

4. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

Aluminum, Definately.
    My only advice is:
    You didnt say what kind of boat or how big, but take care that you know what you are doing or can ask somebody who does. I dont know how many aluminum welders I know(myself included) that have figured "with my years of experience I can build anything out of aluminum. Dont know how many aluminum projects I have seen fail cuz they dont really understand the engineering of the project and the stresses that are put on them.
    I have a hanful of pics from an all aluminum trailer that was underneath a Boston Whaler that I did some work on. Its all bolted, no welding at all. Prolly what I would do if I was going to build one. If you would like, I can send them to you.
    Anyway, all I'm saying is do your homework if you need to.
    Peace, Joey

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Aluminum and good hot-dipped galvanized are both good for trailers. Both beat painted steel by far. Aluminum would get my pick; it's about as good as you can get for corrosion resistance. And for sure heed Arrow/Joey's advice on making sure it's professionally done- aluminum welding is not for amateurs.

As for corrosion: Galvanic corrosion is not an issue on trailers- PROVIDED THAT you hose it down with fresh water after hauling it out. Ideally you should flush the motor and wash the trailer down immediately after hauling the boat out, before it has a chance to dry off. If you don't flush and rinse your rig, you will of course get corrosion on both trailer and boat regardless of your choice of metals.

6. nevd

nevd Junior Member

Aluminium trailer

Hello Arrowmarine,

I would appreciate seeing your photos of the fully bolted trailer as I also beleive that is the way to handle aluminium in trailers, particularly if they are to be used on poor roads.

Thanks

nevd

7. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

Aluminum Trailer Pics

I thought I had some better close ups, but here you go, Hope they help.

Joey

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.