Aluminum sheet on ply bottom?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by gwaa98, Jan 29, 2006.

1. gwaa98

gwaa98 Junior Member

I built a 12 foot vee bottom skiff last year out of 1/4 inch luan plywood and 2x4s and she's been wonderful. But then I started fishing in the local bayous and I found a lot of fish, and a lot of cypress knees. One of them finally holed my boat and she's been in the garage all winter. I want to repair my bottom in a way that will defeat these underwater daggers. A friend suggested sheet aluminum epoxied onto the flat sections of my bottom where the knees hit. Will this hold? Will I need to use a physical connection as well, like pop rivets, and then epoxy over those? Has anybody ever tried this, I mean adding alumnium sheet as a final ply on the bottom of a plywood stitch and glue boat?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

This thread has been answered elsewhere. Please only post a question once, we'll all see it.

3. jpatarickwagner

jpatarickwagner Junior Member

1/4 alumium plate was used on miss budwieser screwed in place with black drywall screws, like 4 in. on center, to a spruce/port orford wood grid frame.
    they would get 5 to 6 runs at 100mph+. the glue? i forget about, I think they used black "boatlife" caulk.for glue. look up miss budwieser(Ron Jones builder)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.