Almost $500 for a 6" 8/4 16' CVG doug fir board ...

Discussion in 'Materials' started by lewisboats, Mar 4, 2015.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

for my keelson... Holy Guacamole! It costs more for the shipping... almost twice as much... as the board itself. Even cut into shorter pieces it only knocks about $30 off the total. Looks like I'll have to improvise.

I have enough decent CVG Doug Fir to do something like this. It shouldn't be too difficult to cut with my new bandsaw (once I get it together and tuned up). I can also build a jig to run it through my finish planer for a smooth joint. This is end on with a total width of 4.5" to be trimmed down to 4"-4 1/4". I can build a jig to glue it up or simply glue it together in situ on the building jig.

[​IMG]

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

can't you find something decent at your local big box store? It sometimes takes several trips, but by sorting through the piles of lumber, usually doug fir, I can find something good enough to remill that has enough decent grain I can get several good smaller peices out of it. It helps if what you need is smaller size, so finding a 4x12 for example, it does not have to be perfect, but with enough good material to cut away the less desirable parts leaving you with a smaller piece of clear lumber. I have ripped a fairly good 2x12 into 4 good smaller (1" x 1.5") stringers 16 ft long, with a lot of shorter pieces good enough to use elsewhere. It only cost about $14. Of course I also end up with a lot of kindling, but considering the cost of buying a lenght of "boat lumber", it is a bargain with a little extra work.

I also find I can often find good clear lumber in old buildings being remodeled or being demolished. If I see that I will often stop and look around at what is being ripped out, I get permission to salvage what I can and save it for a future project. You just have to get it when you find it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.