Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Materials' started by biggathanjesus, Nov 22, 2003.

1. biggathanjesus

biggathanjesus New Member

Hi everyone. I'm a Materials Engineering student researching the diferent types of materials used in the construction of boat hulls. As theres so much to the project, i don't have any specific ideas about what you could offer me. But just looking through the forums here i found a lot of interesting topics. I love the water myself, i've built two mirror sailing dinghys with my brothers and in the process of restoring an old fireball that saw better days
    Anyhow just to give you an idea of what i'd by looking for:
    The different materials.,
    History of hulls materials,
    Hull design,
    Materials used and their properties....like say their cost, durability, ease of construction...also their tensile strength, elasticity, etc.
    Problems with diff materials...like osmosis, delamination, rotting, corrosion, etc.

Basically if you have any good links and resources i'd appreciate it. Thanks! :D

2. Mr

Hi
    I would be interested in information you acquired with regard to boats made from aluminum. I.e. why aluminum and not grp. any thing will be of help.Cheers Charlie

3. tonyr

tonyr Junior Member

For starters, may I recommend the book "The Elements of Boat Strength" by Dave Gerr to you both? Lots of good information (scantlings etc.) on all the basic materials, plus a good supplemental reading list.

I am using it as my bible on a 24' strip/epoxy boat I am building.

Tony.

4. Palmer

Palmer Junior Member

'Marine Composites' is a pretty useful book.

5. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

Marine composite book

Hey buddy,

When I was an undergraduate studying composite materials, I was recommended to download the booked called MARINE COMPOSITES. Its a free download from online. Its a good read, lots of pic etc with lots of info on hull design, hull materials, hull manufacturing techniques etc. Its sounds just the book. I think the web site is www.marinecomposites.co.uk or something similar.

Its a good 400 pages.Check it out, its worth the printing cost.

Buckle

6. Buckle

Buckle Composite Engineer

Sorry mate, Didn't read you message. Please forgive.

7. Tim_Hastie

Tim_Hastie Junior Member

I have designed aluminum boats for years.

5086 is comonly used
    We used 5083 h32 for anything below water line...Cost $2.15/lbs cdn
    We used 5052 h32 for everything else, it bends nice and is cheaper cost $ $1.89/lbs cdn. All the extruded shapes used where 6061 t6 and 6061 t5. the cost of these shapes are $2.15/lbs. across the board.
    Hope this helps

TIM

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.