5 ply luan

Discussion in 'Materials' started by lprimina, Jan 29, 2005.

1. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

Is the 5 ply luan with exterior glue worth a crap for building boats for sell. I have a chance to buy 150 sheets at around $8.00/sheet.
    Thanks for the answers
    Ben

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

For what would you like to use it? In any case at 8 $ per sheet it is definately not meant to be a rip off. Is it WBP quality? Earlier in this forum I have replied with a small test: take a piece and put it for a certain period, 5-8 hrs, in boiling water. Does it delaminate within the 4 hours - the material is just "lumberyard"
    quality, but even at hat price/quality not expensive. If you want to buy the lot, look for gaps in the laminate. To test that, cutt a few pieces off and look for interlaminar gaps. If there are, you deal with 2nd choice - still at 8 $ a sheet not expensive. It could than used in housing projects and resold with a profit. :idea:

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What is the thickness, 5 ply 1/4" stock may be a good deal, but 5 ply 3/4" stock would likely be junk. Any time you buy 150 sheets of plywood you'll get a price break. If this is considerably lower then the current retail, then buy it and resell it. Use the profits to buy some real marine grade stock. My understanding of ply construction is the glue used for exterior is the same as marine, but the interior lumbers used in the sheet may be quite prone to rot, void size and count is unacceptable in exterior grades where this is not the case with marine grades.

4. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Find out if the intereior plys are made of the same wood as the exterior plys, check for any interior voids.

If its made of the same wood throughout, have little to no voids, water proof glue, I would say your getting a deal.

5. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Merbau

Additional info: in Holland it is mainly used as wood for door- and windowframes;
    it is not available in sheets - nowhere in Holland - only Meranti (lower quality)
    costs: Euro 1700,= per CU meter ( 1.00 Euro = 1.30 US$)

6. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

It is 5.22mm and the inner layers are not the same.
    I will stick with akume at least it has the loyeds of london stamp on it.
    Thanks for the info
    Ben

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.