1953 Correct Craft Racer w/327 fireball engine

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Tangusso, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Tangusso

Tangusso Junior Member

I am considering a purchase of this correct craft model. The boat is a significant distance from me and the only way I have been able to "see" it is through photos. The current owner knows little about boats and boats construction, leaving me starving for information. Since I have never owned a Correct Craft I need to know how they were put together in 1952.

Can anyone tell me if they were traditional batten and seem construction or were they perhaps plank over plywood (some of the photos appear to show some plywood under the planking but I cant be sure)?

If the latter is the correct method, are there any inherent issues with the restoration of such a beast - such as plywood rotting under good planking? fastening issues? etc.

Were methods involving some sort of lamination or epoxy used? How was it all fastened? What are the pitfalls here? Any help would be appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.