1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

The following will document aspects of the construction of my Bob Oram 39'C and to start with here is the intro http://www.boboramdesign.com.au/39-c/ and the profile may look a little like this http://www.boboramdesign.com.au/40-pearl-bay/ but not necessarily so....

Construction is anticipated to commence in mid / late April 2009, build site has been organised and money is hopefully sorted, (who can be certain and confident in these ridiculous economic times)...

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Mas best of luck pal
    i read in between the other posts that you have sold your houses - great stuff

Please feel free to ask for advise on epoxy - i know that you are surrounded by experts - but i have done an unbelievable amount of experimentation with marine ply and epoxies, i may just have that little tit bit of advice that you could need to make life easier. I have become very proficient at mixing small batches on a daily basis and my "production line" is actually running very smoothly. I have also learned how and when to clean tools and when and what to throw away - all to be cost effective. I have become quite accustomed to work 4 hours and more every day on my boats, i start at 5 in the afternoon to 9, weekends 9 to 6. Once you are into it, its all ok - just difficult to get started.

I am working like crazy to get my little experimental cat on the water because i have started working and drawing my 12m Cat in all earnesty. I still believe that i can get my "Jarcat" on the water in April - which means that i will start my 12m Cat in May/June 2009. The design and technique that i am following is basicaly a combination of Schionning / Oram / Easy. I am not building a "new boat" or re-inventing the wheel, i am basically taking the features that i like from each and combining them to suit my requirements for single handed setup. I do intend to live permanently on the boat as my family will only be with me when they have leave/holidays as they will all be working and persuing their careers, they have no desire to sail with me. :D

Are you intending to live on your boat or is it for pleasure only?

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Mas, Q.

Why a power only boat ?

4. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

Fanie,

From his statement that he's building a 39-C (sail powered) with a profile similar to the 40-pearl-bay, I was guessing that he was planning on having sail power, and cutting the cabin to match the 40's profile.
    ...maybe i was guessing wrong?

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I don't think that's Masalai that uploaded that web page, he could never be THAT serious...

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Absence? been busy with relocating and stuff, I would like a longer roof aft but if Bob says no then I bow to his wisdom. Sails are twin genoas, one to each bow (so are each bigger than one to midships). No main as the roof there is reserved for solar panels to be set up very last as have an 8kw diesel battery charger in a box up front next to cockpit at the mast...

Electric drive at the moment - the Torqeedo legs are favoured either the 2.0 or the R http://www.torqeedoaustralia.com/Torqeedo_Australia/Products.html and batteries likewise subject to change are the spiral wound AGM style to supply house and motors and nav will be 12v through engine batttery charge system...

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Clever. Exactly what I'm doing with my cat as well although my mast are going to be aft aft like in aft so they can be taken down easily and the 'genoas' are full size. Makes them much easier to handle too vs one huge monster and centre of sail is lower as well.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

I think you may be oversailed...? there were several images of John Hitches "XIT" on this net (search John Hitch?) - the rig is called a hitch-hiker rig...

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Nah, less than 32m^2 per sail... It's going to be just right.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Why do you think my rig is going to be oversailed ?

So Mas, you're putting a shack and a shed up now... right ?

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Shed is there, just waiting for the boat in it to be launched (a bob Oram 44C with 48V DC "Polar Power" electric drive & genset.... Should be interesting to see performance & fuel efficiency....

Just on your description, with the mast way, way back aft and full sized pair of sails (I presumed "full size" to mean as big as could fit)....

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You told Bob 'there's the shed, fill er up' ?

On a 10m cat, 2 x 32m^2 sails is too much ? Masts is then at only 11m..

13. masalai

masalai masalai

OK retraction - brain not working, so concede..... - still in "moving house" mode contents from Sunnybank Hills house have absolutely filled new home so WTF, ? where will the stuff from Buderim go ????????

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Your priorities are mixed up. If you got the boat first then Buderim could have gone on the boat.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

But, but, but, but, sale of Buderim pays for boat..... I think I got it right:D:D:D:D .... Lovely Lady wants house, and now has got it... Now my turn to get boat, with full approval and blessing.... I think I know which side my bread is buttered ....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.