1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Judy, Your production (boat build), is near perfection - and you are way ahead of me in the process:D:D:D:D - - I am too computer dumb to even consider reducing image size, and I have had some interesting shots I would have loved to put up (with lots of greenery which puts them over the 2MB limit - do not even ask for them to be reduced:D:D:D, but I retain my cheeky attitude with a threat to post 12MB images elsewhere?

Using Linux Mint as I am too lazy/dumb to find the codecs and plugins that I want - I thought they might have stuck a finger at the yanks as mint has done - but seems the philosophy of "free" (unencumbered by patents and copyright) software is stronger in some... :D:D:D - I think I will stick to invasion by my alien entities as photographed with the flash shots as being the cause of the "problems"

The images stay as they are.... even when I am on the boat - If I can upload at sea then everyone can download :D:D:D although the thumbnails will have to be sufficient for the bandwidth challenged - How do you get on with the random picture images - I wish they were thumbnails, but that is another topic....

This is #1 and seems to be behaving for the present? - #2 is being sent to an expert for exorcism...

2. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

Sorry to hear you've given up on Ubuntu. In case you do decide to give it another shot.....

Ubuntu do not so much stick their finger as politely suggest ways of dealing with the non-free components. They have "Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) which is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc)."

Click here for instructions on using Medibuntu

I've followed the Medibuntu instructions for the past 40 or so installations I have done, all with total success.

After that, these few more steps mean I've yet to find a video I cannot play:

I install Adobe Flash Player by visiting youtube and attempting to play a video (you are prompted to install).

I install further codecs by attempting to play a .avi file (in the default movie player in the Ubuntu distribution), and following the resultant prompts to find and install necessary codecs.

Then via the menu - Applications, Add/Remove, I make sure the "Show" section has "All available applications" selected, and then search for and install VLC media player and MPlayer Movie Player

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Judy, Linux Mint is an offshoot of Ubuntu, which is derived from the Debian development stream so still the same repositories, just all the stuff comes with the downloaded "Mint" package.... so essentially another branch of the same stuff... Synaptic Package Manager is what I use to add clamAV so the windows crowd can feel "secure" when they receive my emails, and K3B for DVD/CD burning, and amorok for music (but I always forget to quit through the menu and just hit the "X" which leaves it playing in the background)...

4. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

Sorry, I should have looked up Mint (have now). I mistakenly thought it was a different distro. It looks great. You have lots of good info - thanks to you I am using FreeShip under Wine, we are probably (95% sure) going to have a headsail only rig, we'll probably copy your access covers in the wet areas, and I've sent an email to Digitech. Don't think I'll move to Mint though:) ;)

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya Im fine with the picts as they are Mas
    I can "zoom" in on what I want and get a good look at what your up to
    I say leave it the way it is

B

oh hey
    friend of mine has got a gold mine up in the hills
    he is usually kinda funny about telling anyone where its at
    but it looks like Im off to do some gold mining tomorrow

Ill let you know how it goes

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, Hope you find plenty of that "yellow stuff"...

No worries Judy, Damien at digitech is supposed to be setting up a website for cruising yachties, I have pointed him at some other goodies so he may start producing some of those too...

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I would also prefer the pics the size they are, so don't even think about it ! :D

Judy,

Do you have a thread or web site... ? would like to see/follow your build.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie in my signature area click on the "Bob Oram" link, then on the lower right is a link to "The Scrumble Project" and there you are...

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hey Fanie - Scrumble is also on my webpage, you better start reading, you are missing beeeeeg time :D

Mas i also like your BIG pics
    i zoom in and drool for hours :cool:
    learning lots - thanks pal and also big thanks to the dream team

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

eh we got snowed out
    it was just coming down so hard you could barely see ten feet
    that and had we not turned tail we would have likely been dug out in the spring
    dam that dig was back in the mountains

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, what a weak excuse?, snowed in for the winter and digging gold for warmth and exercise, you would have come out leaner, stronger and richer as well as having built a handsome underground retreat/home with a built in revenue stream.... - - - Think positive man, think positive (and "outside the box" so to speak)...

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I suppose I should have said "had our frozen solid corpses dug out in the spring"

we might have one more shot at it before winter really sets in up there
    maybe
    once the ground freezes my buddy tells me its hell to work the mine

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Aaarrrrgh I was only having a dig.... Borrow some of Fanies and Manies "crew" to keep you warm and entertained during those cold dark nights... :D:D:D:D

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

[​IMG]

thats what the old faithful lodge in Yellowstone is for
    getting snowed in with just the right girl
    or car load of girls
    but
    middle of no where Colorado
    no bar
    no food
    and no girls
    and im hightailing it outa there at the first sign of trouble

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.