1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

No, we turned that page last Friday.

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Mas so what are the future plans at this stage?
    launch middle next year? Brisbane yacht club? live on the boat for a couple of months? then off to?

Must say its flippen great when you can start to see where all the furniture etc. is going to go. Also its great when you can sit "in" the boat

Scrumble is also looking good, also will have a "roof" on soon
    you better also get somebody to bake some chocolate cake for your party :D

anyway
    Mas - Judy and gang
    stay strong :cool:

3. masalai

masalai masalai

I think this is page 36 but my response may be on 37??? - - - 9/11? - - whatever? - - is OK by me :D:D:D:D - That is the ninth of November I presume, but what year? ...

I do not propose to inhabit "yacht clubs" or "marinas" - I hope to be out there somewhere enjoying life afloat in some quiet locale N of Brisbane - A Rally, departing from Cairns (Yorkeys Knob) to Louisiades (PNG), Departs earlish September to return mid to late October Further information: Guy Chester on 0407 391211 or email: Louisiadesrally@EcoSustainAbility.com, or visit
    www.louisiadesrally.com will probably be the boats baptism cruise... see "The Coastal Passage" #36... http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/

4. hoytedow

11/9, mas. We do things upside down up over.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

put up some picts of the deck structure as it sits
    Im dying to see how it goes together

cheers
    B

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Stunning !

7. masalai

masalai masalai

All the Pacific has similar visual prospects, download GoogleEarth and have a wander....

I may get some images later but the team want to finish the interior fitout and epoxy sealing, spraying the bog and sanding & painting before that goes on... and you can guess why:D:D:p:p

Today I am off to Buderim, to a little shop, "Digitech" to get my boat's computers - run on 12vDC supply (but still need 240v for the monitors) I will be using them at home and placing on the boat when the finishing touches allow (boat is on the launch trailer)

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

are you sure you want 220
    you can get 110 if you want it easily enough

9. masalai

masalai masalai

:D:D Better system, Boston, more power per Amp:D:D:D:D..... Only 110 is used in used in US & colonies, the rest use 220~240:D:D

Well, I now have the pair of computers to go on the boat, along with an antenna that gives 10db gain for 802.11g communications... Now comes the transfer of files to the appropriate machine and the set-up - Ubuntu will be the operating system...

Here are some shots of the forward section of the deck, just sitting in place, so I can show all you eager beavers... By now it will have been removed to be epoxy coated/waterproofed, bogged, sanded and painted except for the joining strips.... I presume that the final fit (after the work in the hulls is complete) will then be followed by joining, finishing off the joins and then laying and gluing the deck in place - You will all have to wait and see if I am wrong or what, as the work continues:D:D:D

The "mysterious circles" in the shot of the toilet/shower area, are caused by extra-terrestrial beings who visit regularly, to keep an eye on my progress.... They did not expect a flash as I usually prefer natural lighting, and they were "caught" as the flash energy was too much to dissipate - so now you know...

Attached Files:

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yerp sure is
    that way if you get drenched you also got a firm grip on that fridge :p

my theory is that electricity and water are a bad combo
    so if Im going to get zapped I want it to be with 110 and not 220
    220 improves the grip
    110 is just a wake up call

my two cents and far be it for me to criticize a fantastic build
    whatever your doing
    its looking great

oh
    sorry for all the dumb questions concerning grp construction but this is the my closest look at the process
    Im all about wood so its interesting to watch you build

best
    B

11. masalai

masalai masalai

No worries, I am also in the "observers seat", but can view whenever I want, whereas you must depend on what I present:D:D:D fire away, but do not expect me to have the correct answer, someone is bound to supply the correct response sooner or later:D:D:D

Here is a partial shot of the 2 computers one front view and one rear on showing the 10db gain antenna connected... It is quite directional... There will be 2 more screens on the ship services and a projector on the other one for the videos etc...

Electrical circuits for 240V must have an earth leakage trip so in the unlikely event of a fault, a slight tickle is all that one should feel and the power trips off in milliseconds and I have a very effective earth from http://www.moonraker.com.au/access.htm#earth - - Copper E Plate - - Radio earth system for wooden or fibreglass vessels in sea or fresh water - 96% copper - - Surface area: 1100 sq cm (1.21 sq ft); Dimensions 240x130x20mm (9.5x5x0.75in); Impedance less than 1 ohm (measured) at 5 MHz in sea water; Integral copper studs with stainless steel washers and nuts for fitting and connection; the link has a pdf file that can be downloaded...

Attached Files:

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

so you have three screens on the pilots desk
    are they specifically tasked for weather navigation and topography

13. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

Your IT setup looks very interesting. Do you have a spec sheet for these boxes (or a link). I have chosen to use laptops for the obvious power benefits, but would still like a separate file/media server.

Re the projector for videos - have you actually used one? I found ours useless in daylight, so have opted for an lcd flat screen instead.

And..... Ubuntu rocks! I do hope you are getting the latest free version directly from Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

I have noticed that there are rogues on the net trying to SELL (ie. for money) this free operating system.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Judy,
    On this machine, I have linux Mint - It will be sold along with the twin screens (1680 x 1050) in a "Shuttle" box...

The new ones it is proposed to have an etched or "smoked" perspex panel between the davits (normally folded up to the ceiling and out of the way) and project onto that at night, else for personal viewing use one of the 3 new "Samsung 2333 screens" at 1920 x 1080 for full HDMI, if it is too bright for the projector... The new ones will have Ubuntu

- - - Send an email enquiry to Damien at sales@digitechqld.com.au - Damo seems a little stretched (busy), and has said he will put the details up on his website www.digitechqld.com.au soon for the machine I have, as it is sorted to run on 12Vdc or from the supplied transformer, (as is usually supplied for laptop charging), but monitor is something else (240Vac)... The configuration I have is AMD Phenom cpu, 4GB ram Nvidia graphics chipset, 802.11g wireless, one RJ45 x 10/100/1000 network port, 500GB HDD, DVD burner, 4 sata ports, 10 usb and a couple of PS2 for keybd & mouse... all slimline/notebook stuff to fit in the box and use minimal power...

Politely tell Damo to get off his bum and reply to your email as you want one too:D:D:D but if you want a keyboard & mouse on PS2 plugs then include that as well as the screens and or 10db gain antenna box etc....

15. hoytedow

Those circular apparitions are very interesting, especially that they are all congregated along the port side of that frame. Live long and prosper. V

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.