1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

The makings

All the materials (except hardener) and more coming...

Attached Files:

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

You don't use microfibres?

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Going by the numbers these should be next - epoxy, hardners, tape...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

He he

i vote for story #1

**** no

maybe #4

oh what the hell just look at the pics

:D

xxx

5. masalai

masalai masalai

TeddyDiver - - Huh? hehehe
    Manie B - - we do not need all that real-estate for "effect" :D:D:D a couple of "-" separated by spaces - - - - is more effective and saves RSI on the mouse hand - not so much scrolling down :D:D:D and a happy way to distribute "minuses"...

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

He he i have made up my mind finally, its number ONE ! and i am writing all of this in one line as well, sorry Mas just a bit of fun on a Saturday morning and then back to work. There is no justice in this world, last year i had very little work, this year i have hopelessly too much, farkit how do things work. Any way i enjoy all your pics as well as the :p ones

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Actually Cab-O-Sil is for that, and quite a good ingredient in pastry. However it doesn't have any structural properties after baking so no need for dental care after having a Danish :)

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Mas, looking better and better all the time. I can feel your butt on the water :D

The way this thread is going I can just see it's going to become a pay site soon :rolleyes: She's got nice eyes tho. Noticed afterwards. I don't believe the stories Manie. That's written by some guy living in lala land.

Get better education while you nip one off ? :eek:

10. masalai

masalai masalai

What Fanie, the "birthday sex" story? - - I thought it was written by a male (gay one?) as I have yet to encounter a female with that attitude? have you? (yes - then you didn't measure up?) or (no - see, must be a gay boy, as I have not seen or heard either - else I would be still there:D:p)...

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hey thanks for the close ups
    the chain plate attachment at the cross tie !
    why the change in grain direction of the fill wood ?
    and what kind of wood was it ?

can you define the three types of tape you show
    I got wood down
    but Im completely clueless when it comes to stitch and glue glass reinforced resins

and why the two different brands of fillers

the Technirez folks do not like there stuff being copied from the technical data sheet
    it seems like a typical two part epoxy with hardener options
    that can handle a wide range of application temps

12. masalai

masalai masalai

End-grain balsa as it comes in DuFLEX panels - scrap pieces were used and glued together...

There is no "stitch" except in using screws temporarily to hold parts in place when gluing and are removed before taping... I think the big roll is 750 grams/sq metre quadraxle (spelling? but is cloth with 4 different thread directions - "normal" cloth has the warp and weft whilst this has two more at 45 degrees) - the smaller roll is about a third less (400gsm?) and the little roll is "peel-ply" (polyester taffeta) we buy it by the large roll - about 50 inches wide and 40 metres long and use a hacksaw to cut sections to apply over the taping joins and roll over that, with a little metal roller, to remove any air bubbles and ensure the tape is smoothed down and 'fair'... The stuff in the bags (cab-o-sil) was "inherited" I think... it smells a bit and has an unpleasant touch... We will use most of that 200 litre (45 gallon) drum and some more in 20/25 litre drums in the build.... The DuFLEX is NOT waterproof and the sheets get a liberal coating of epoxy squeegees on in several coats inside and out just before bogging & painting (or sealing as a "void") just after removing all the peel-ply on that area... (the peel-ply protects the surfaces and keeps grease (sticky fingers) dirt and other contaminants out - and makes an excellent temporary "white board" :D:D:D:D

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

no I can see that Duflex is a foam core product
    definitely not water proof without some help

I also followed the balsa core thread extensively

looks from all the pictures like a foam core with a thin wafer-board on each side

when you join pieces do you trim out the foam at the edge and add a stiffener or monolithic biscuit fitting between the outer skins across the joint

or are they just butted together they way they come off the saw

14. masalai

masalai masalai

No, No , no - yes, Boston, DuFLEX is BALSA cored.... at least it is here... :D:D:D and to make a big block to angle-grind into a shape, several (lots) are glued together - light and very strong... In the end it will be sealed, glassed and capable of holding the whole weight of the boat at each point (chainplate) there will be 7 all up, with the 2 just aft of midships likely not being used... What may look like foam is epoxy with micro-spheres...

15. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

The larger roll looks like weft triaxial, as I cannot see any warp threads at the cut edge in the photo. (edit: what you see running in the warp direction is polyester stitching to hold it all in place.) The smaller width tape looks like double bias.

Here's a diagram showing the thread orientation of some different types of glass reinforcements:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.