1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

and other things are crossed too, good luck?

Just for Sean, your luck is in as I fortuitously took pictures of my engine room (waiting for the engine (genset)) - the boxes contain plumbing components... and... the "fuel farm" where the fuel will have space and time to replicate and 20 drums for it to do it in :D:D:D A false bottom, tiedown points and 9 there (stbd) and another 9 to port and some wherever.... The kubota 722cc 3 cyl diesel with 2 delco alternators to give a peak of 6000 watts to charge the 48V battery bank... The engine will be able to burn coconut oil instead of 'diesel' fuel and the exhaust will smell sweeter...

Attached Files:

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

At least the coconut oil will have a nice tropical smell

3. masalai

masalai masalai

More images... and this is the 4th attempt (telstra/bigpond persists in falling over - seems a stronger backbone is necessary)... - - (1) Bridgedeck shaping is looking smart and (2) sexily curved, - the (4) forward beam and (3) positioning & chainplates are being organised...

Attached Files:

4. masalai

masalai masalai

(1) Raised floor for toilet area to be inserted, (2) hand basin in shower area, (3) one of the 6 cupboards that will have waterproof doors - shower area, (4) Rule pump in the sump for the shower area...

Attached Files:

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Well the forebeam is close to being taped into place (first 3 shots, then where the holding tanks will sit, after the slightly sloping floor is fitted...

Attached Files:

6. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

The 39C is certainly a nice looking boat. I really like the lines and curves in the first two of the last four photos.

Re the forebeam bulkhead, is that an extra piece of 13mm Duflex in front of it, and does it go all the way down to the keel? Presumably it is being strengthened for the forestay/headsail furler...?

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Judy, as per standard specifications and yes - I think it is similar to the 44C?... There will be 2 genoas (one from each bow and a blade of about 9sq M midships from just aft of the net area totalling about 80 sq M) about the size of a standard, but on a 12m stick - - I do NOT have a "main sail" aft of the mast and no boom... 5 masthead stays and one set of diamonds is all that is required for the standing rigging... All sails are roller-furled and reefed... In fully laden ready to cruise I hope to be underweight (less than 4862kg)...

8. masalai

masalai masalai

A SPECIAL for Boston and Sean 2 steam engines being overhauled - sheer engineering beauty

Attached Files:

9. masalai

masalai masalai

3 more shots of the steam engines

The last image - I am still working out where the sheets and other stuff will go - rough but effective....

Attached Files:

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Five images for today are raised floor in P & S aft berths forward cargo hold (to carry the 9 x 25litre containers of either RO derived potable water, or cold pressed coconut oil, the aft cargo holds will remain empty for the present plans... Then there is the forward chain plate construction for the forward stays and roller furled/reefed genoa... Lastly, the curved forward section of the bridge-deck is in position, glued filleted and taped in place...

Attached Files:

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Dam that is a site
    I cant wait to get my engines and boilers
    that and secure the shop space

thanks for the pict
    looks great
    I wonder what the specs on those are

and that shot of the reversing lever is perfect
    most folks dont realize how versatile a steam engine is
    that you dont need a trany and that they run so slow, you can get a hundred years of life out of em
    they have huge benefits, are about as efficient as a basic diesel, require almost no maintenance in the closed system steam type
    Im be suprised if as diesel goes through the roof again if they dont come back with a vengeance

thanks again
    B

oh
    Im going with a v configuration rather than a vertical
    keeps the center of gravity low

12. masalai

masalai masalai

13. masalai

masalai masalai

No further data - I went to the shop to get some stainless tube to take the clevis pin (attaching the rigging screw to the chainplate) on my composite chainplates... They had the tube (16mm ID which I bought) and I just drooled on sighting the engines - one used lots of cast sections and the other was manufactured out of flat bar and stuff (I preferred the made one as it seemed to have far more heart put into it than the other using more cast parts)...

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

[​IMG]

the ones I chose arent nearly as pretty but are dam efficient and use mostly off the rack auto parts in the internal rotating assembly

my 57 flat top would use 4 of these 125 hp single acting compound steam engines
    I could get away with 2 but I hate the idea of a owning a gutless wonder
    so I want it to be able to get up and run from a squall if needs be
    they are reversible 0 to 1500 rpm
    I should be able to do about 10 knots at 40 hp but want to hit 16~20 in a pinch
    these engines are really compact 21x24x14 and light at 250lb each
    course you have to count the boilers as well at 350 lbs each dry and I need four of em as well

your torquido idea is dam enticing
    I was thinking I would incorporate them into the system for docking maneuvers and emergency power
    that boat you showed a picture of with the flip down system was really impressive
    I hate the idea of chopping holes in my hull for bow thrusters
    course I hate the idea of chopping holes in the hull for anything

your build is coming along great Mas
    way to go
    dam inspirational

thanks for all the pictures
    B

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, Your choice, but I cannot see 'four engines and 16 ~ 20 knots' as being comfortable/viable if the nasty weather gets up, - far more to the point, knowing she is well built and can do a comfortable 10 ~ 15 knots safely and with minimum fuss and no unnecessary pounding or bouncing from wave top to wave top? just my 2 cents:D:D:D

Start a thread on your build, after all, you have some of the timber ageing and you are doing some of the milling? - "this woodsman is building slowly with love and passion" - seems like a good title?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.