1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Well I got the "layout" view blown up to 1:10 scale, stuck it onto some plywood, and will now play with standing rigging (mast positioning) and where the sails and sheets need to run, and how to organise that... possibly testing times there.... Bob Oram may be coming by tomorrow so we will see what we will see..... Genset should be up this way next week or so, then the decks, "coach-house" assembled, followed by setting up the rigging / mast / winches hatches / tempered glass windows (non-opening) and all that stuff as well as the electronics and electrics (money spending time) which, for a kanjuice marawadi, (apologies to Indians for any misspelt words), is not happiness central.... Last stuff fitted will be sails, batteries, solar panels and electric motors ...

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Well, a bit rough, but served the purpose, to visualise the basic rigging sail and sheet layout...

I did not attach inner & lower shrouds, nor consider representing the diamond and tensioning, as I am no rigger... I just wanted to visualise the basics...

The inner for-stay may go up nearer the masthead, but where is, will be about 6.3 sq metres

The genoa on the port side is represented by a bit of string attached to the for-stay about 1 meter up the fore-stay and will be about 37.5 sq metres on each side so all up, some 81.3 sq metres of sail area for a 4.5 tonne boat on a stick around 12.3m long... the sheets for that genoa are draped approximately where they will sit close hauled...

That is my feeling, Now to see what Bob has to say about "my playing".... and if his skills can make the engineering work?

Attached Files:

3. masalai

masalai masalai

What have I done today? - watched pva glue dry as I build the coach-house on the above pictured layout "model"....I need to determine the sheet block location for the windward genoa (it will be on the roof of the coach-house and sharing space with the solar panels and where the block is, will have to be "reinforced and otherwise engineered" to take the loads.... They are keeping me "occupied and out of the way", which is good as it gives me tangible involvement....

I think I need some 'tenth scale bricks', to use as gravity clamps, to hold things whilst the glue dries:D:D:D:D

I have stiffened up the hulls with pine battons 10mm x 40mm cut to length and one across the aft section, and see the need to add one across at the mast and also another further forward... - - just screwed in to place... Makes a good "tea-chest base"... 'cept I am a lousy musician - no rhythm & tone deaf... :p:p but I sing lustily, out of key and out of tune hehehe....

The boys have been busy finishing bits and pieces, and looks like I may have to do a run to Whitworths, up at Mooloolaba (Sunshine Coast) to get some doors for the shelving in the shower and laundry areas some 12 of them, smaller than the cavities which are 24 x 64 cm - - - that seems like MONEY, in exchange for little plastic cupboard doors on frames to be glued in place (epoxy?)...

4. Scrumble

Scrumble Oram 46'C MS Builder

Quote (.....and looks like I may have to do a run to Whitworths, up at Mooloolaba (Sunshine Coast) to get some doors for the shelving in the shower and laundry areas some 12 of them, smaller than the cavities which are 24 x 64 cm) Unquote.

....and your team were doing so well with the weight, pity to have cover storage.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with all the photos.

Regards, Tom

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Tom, that is just to keep the water out of shelves / cupboards, whilst showering... all light plastic things with easy latches... I only got 6 for the shower area (page 117 cat #42136

6. Scrumble

Scrumble Oram 46'C MS Builder

Did you get all 12? I envy you, I would be lucky to see a small image on a web site and then get told that they can only send three of a different size or that they don't delivery to areas north or west of Kingaroy or question me as to whether we had sea in Darwin or charge 75% freight.

all the best, Tom

7. masalai

masalai masalai

I only got 6... I phoned and there was 8 in Albion and 7 in Mooloolaba of that smaller size and 2 and 1 of the larger size which I did not get but could have had delivered early next week, but the starboard side will be the laundry so no need to worry about regular shower spray:D:D:D.... - just epoxy coat then flow coat that side shelves...

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Occupied right now, but will come back later and give you grief on whatever you did wrong... or right :D

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Why Fanie, Are you having "grief" with your wetting out machine? or that other device that your friends "killed" by running over it?.... Philamon has been busy....

I went to Bunnings to buy some plumbing fittings (mixer and shower, and mixer combo for galley sink & hand-basin) and some more balsa for my layout model...

The internals are being epoxied then flow-coated and cupboard doors fitted to shower stall and all that stuff that looks not much different from a week ago... So have some patience and be warned I too have some time to retaliate so post pictures of what you have done, as nothing seems to have happened for a couple of weeks???? on other projects....

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Fanni --Im worried about you. In another thread you said to had hardly the room to build and armed robbers roamed the neighborhood?

You said they would steal anything. Why do you do it there then. Why don't you move to another country and live a peaceful life with cheap beer and you can lock up and go home. I could'nt do that,-- what you are doing.

All countries are ****, its just that some are less ****.

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Cannot sleep, I'm coughing like Frosty's Yanmar :D I'm going sailing to test the boom in a few hours.

That 'other thing ' I will let you know about in a while. It is not so easy and not such a small undertaking.

I have to work after hours or on weekends, but cannot currently. Tbh, I'm scared of another armed robbery, they are active in our area again and I don't know how I will react... Small light of hope though, the police can now aparently shoot to kill and will be protected by law, we can only hope it is not going to be abused again.

I am putting together a 3 phase drive, motor and gearbox to work with the wetout machine. Everything is built from scratch and takes time. Any bugger ups have to be re-done. I'm also the poor working class so I have to save up before I can do anything...

Sorry, all off topic on your thread. As long as you progress it is great. Who knows, I may still visit you and get the thing to float.

Keep them pics coming, I'm collecting them, you don't have to retaliate pics, they don't care :D

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Sorry Frosty I missed your post... good timing. I am considering your suggestion more and more serious every day.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ok,-- well just mind you do it before your dead.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, I am sure we could find something for you to do and somewhere for you to stay if you "arrived on a doorstep", It is just dealing with those bureaucrats, that is the problem everywhere...

15. johngilpin

johngilpin Junior Member

John

:confused: Hi All

How does one calculate the horsepower requied for a vessel.
    More specifically a 16' Dory.

Kind Regards

John

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.