1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Water ballast is a component, mainly to counter use of fuel, food and water during a cruise as light weight cats are load sensitive. - I have a RO watermaker and when I make some more potable, I will fill the tanks appropriate to maintain equilibrium - (is that the word I am after?)...
    Not necessary to pump from port to starboard or forward to aft etc., depending on immediate cruising-sailing demands - as I interpreted your question originally...

Went and took some pictures - will not post again 'till 4June - enjoy while you can/may:D:D:D
    Bit of undercoat on the first hull, Chain-plate ready for reinforcing with some 14 layers of glass strapping, The "wambat" used for applying epoxy mix to various lengths of glass tape, The mixing table with digital scale(centre front of table wrapped in 'replaceable' plastic bag), electric drill as epoxy/paint/stuff mixer (sitting on red drum - only 3 weeks young and encased in epoxy already:D:D), view from rear looking forward....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Seems to me you okes only work one day in a week on the boat.

Wassup doc ?

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How many have you built now Mas?

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty, This one is enough, until my needs aspirations change and I need something else not available in this one :D:D

Fanie, 'what you talkin about!', - There IS only one day in a week isn't there?

Just for you poor saps, with tongues hanging out in eager anticipation, herewith some more images, tooked just minutes ago.... Jeeeees - is there no rest for the wickedly weary?

As you can see first part is bogged & sanded ready for undercoat, second has been turned over (yesterday) and some of the joins made no the outside, some more joins on that today as well as bogging and buffing/fairing to be ready for undercoating with hull "a" and then for part "a" & part "b" to be joined in whole union to become a whole so as to make a permanent hole in the water.... Did I mention engine is ordered and stuff like that - Yes I did so back to work everyone, You have done well....................?

Attached Files:

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Mas
    really looking good and coming along handsomely:D

Another slightly off topic question =

I regularly read Scrumble (like the aluminium plate inserts) and also check the Oram site and i thought that you may also go with WordPress.com. I have checked WordPress out and i also really like what i see.

My question is how and why does one decide where to do your blog.
    It ends up being a lot of work over time
    and i am sure that everybody will go nuts if WordPress goes broke and you loose everything

Any Ideas? :idea:

6. Scrumble

Scrumble Oram 46'C MS Builder

Good Day.
    Manie,
    The Scrumble site is regularly backed-up to our computers using Wordpress' export facility. You can leave WordPress.com any time you want and your content isn’t locked in. They provide a complete XML export of all your posts and comments.

You have probably noticed all our photos are on Flickr - we have back-ups of all photos on our computers too.

In addition, Judy has created a way to download the Scrumble site in book form (.pdf ) in each year packages. These were mainly for our own peace of mind, but we made them publicly available here.

Wordpress and Flickr are very good software, free and easy to use, even I can mostly build reasonable posts, at least I hope so.

It would be very interesting to see a blog or photo-stream about a ply build, as most existing ones are a bit lightweight in content.

Tom

7. masalai

masalai masalai

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Guys thanks for the feed back on WordPress

i did post this elsewhere but i think you would like to see how well this works, especially for Mas's new boat with twin headsails only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtcZjAuF4A

9. JeroenW

JeroenW Junior Member

Nice

Never saw this type of rig before, looks beautiful and well performing. How is it called?
    (so I can search the forum and google?)

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Manie, I presume that "teddy" is travelling as you do not seem to have a boat? yet - Post some pictures here of your finished product.....

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Mas the wheel has turned here like you wont believe

Work and money is now something in the distant past that we can only talk about in hushed undertones - jeez i am even thinking that it was a surrealistic whiskey induced "trip" :D :D :D

Anyway i had some seriously big issues to confront over the last couple of months ( money money and money ), as you know i have 2 children at university which is not free in Saffa and i cannot stop building a boat. I have been inflicted with a very serious mental disability / incurable disease, its Latin name is " Buildumi Boatus" I told by some very learned folks that it often happens to the male species when they reach the ripe old age of 50 or maturity which ever comes first, my wife and children think that i will never grow up, so it must be the over 50 thing as i am now 56. Of course it may also be a fondness of the smell of epoxy over marine ply, mix that with a glass of red wine and i am 20 again;)

So of i go to Wynand, the man is a walking encyclopedia

http://www.steelboatbuilder.com/

It is always a pleasure going there - also to see how the Waratah is coming along - and of course to discuss my infliction. So we came up with a solution.

http://hensevalyd-english.jimdo.com/works-and-creations/souriceau-4-75m-micro-cruiser/

The Souriceau was the main inspiration. What happened next was the tight budget, but we found that we could comfortably stretch the boat to 5m x2.3m. The design parameters are a wierd and wonderful combination of Transat Mini - Pogo2 - Dix Didi Mini and of course Souriceau. So one could call this a scaled down version of the lot.

I have been doing the CAD and Wynand has so graciously assisted with the Math. Needless to say it has been a **** load of work over the past couple of months with MANY a sleepless night and MANY days when i just wanted to fu3king smash the computer into a billion TINY little pieces. I am a social sailor with some 30 years experience who loves sailing and i know my way around boats.

Now for chapter 2 of this fairy tale. Go to Wynand, get the books and guidance, and start studying Yacht design. I was also intent on getting CAD; Freeship as well as "development" and Sailcut working together in "harmony" (if such a thing ever could be) Farkit what a performance, my wife wanted to shoot me and my computer, the kids wanted me commited to a sanitorium for Buildumi Boatus patients. And worst of all i stopped drinking which meant that i was always at it 24/7 First time in my life that the family says "Jeez dad have a drink and chill-out man"

And now for the really good news - yacht design is a rather remarkable field of study - the more you study THE LESS YOU KNOW. It is like a moth to a flame, you know you are going to get burned but the flame calls you back and sucks you in deeper. I am now at that absolutely wonderfull point - burned to **** and i now know absolutely frikken nuttin:p

Anyway the drawings and design are now at that never-ending 99% complete, the first Marine ply has arrived and with a bit of luck i am starting with the lifting centreboard and casing (Naca 63-012) and bulb keel. Next will be the 2 rudders (Naca 63-010) and then the frames, which will be the building stock ala Oram / Bateau. The boat is a multi chine ply and epoxy creation. Furler rollers and blocks by Fanie (all in stock already):D

So in conclusion - here i am - stark raving mad and starting my fifth build.
    I have seriously neglected my search for crew - the ************ folks probably think im dead :p and the Jarcat hulls have moved on to a new owner together with the dory.

As Freddy Mercury said "The show must go on" :D

Attached Files:

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Faaaaar OUT, what more can I say.... I expect you to be knocking on the door outside well before xmas and me not expecting to launch till around April? but every night I pray that it will be sooner... Well lad looks like you are the surprise package.... - There may be an opportunity to continue building over here (especially if government collapses when there is no fuel left - police are restrained to bicycles & customs/immigration to walking of sailing dingies :D:D:D) - See you soon?

Today's images from the boatworx shed first is of the starboard hull half and the other in white underwear is the port half - soon to be joined in union forever...

Attached Files:

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I am thoroughly impressed Mass
    just dont let em fool you
    there is actually two work days pr week
    we just usually only work one of em

looks great and we are all dying of envy
    now get some rest
    that camera must have done tuckered you out son
    or is that you sitting on the bucket

B

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Mas that dream team of yours will put everybody to shame

looking damn good - and of course the speed of the build so far is on everybodies wish list - me three :D

anyway just to add to my ramblings of this morning i thought it best that i should also add some PDF's just to show the lads how far down the line this old fart is ;) as i said got the damn affliction ;)

anyway if i publish enough of this nonsence - who knows maybe the dream team could give me a job one day - i actually come cheap, happy to sleep anywhere warm and dry, hot shower before bed, cant eat the rich foods anymore and holy **** cant really drink much either, MUST have internet with at least 3gig Adsl:D

okay now enough of this nonsence i am now going to ************ to search for crew :idea:

and for those that dont know, the ozzies may not have invented the bikini but they sure as gawd made little green apples perfected it he he :p

Attached Files:

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Manie, You have been a busy little bathplug:D:D:D - There is a bottle of cheap aussy red for when you arrive (cant afford much more what with the septic corruption and whatnot in the global banking system - also the cause oy the saffa problems - - Philemon got the basic idea from them and just could not control himself when he saw how easy it was to steal and give some as bribes, then steal some more to cover the bribes and so on.......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.