1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Landie... and the local supplier is ??? and any idea of the application regime - ie - how does one get that up the water inlet channel ?

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Raining again :eek: - but managed to get a little done in the garden... I hope that when the local tides have a low around midday? that the weather will be pleasant enough, and freedom from land based chores, to beach CNO and clean the props and legs.... The way things are, the midday low tide may need to be an any-time daylight Low-tide...

3. masalai

masalai masalai

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Or I feel I should make another attempt at the great adventure to PNG...

I have been doing research for the "next big adventure" and would appreciate a name and address (postal as I doubt there is an internet service there) of someone at

- Wesley High School, Salermo, Fergusson Island, Milne Bay Province, Papua-New-Guinea...
    - - - - - - I have a few questions requiring some local knowledge...
    - - - - - - I seek information relating to ownership and addresses of some plantations (where I can seek employment as manager)...
    - - - - - - Also, I seek contacts for. . . . . .
    - Wataluma Mission and Plantation, Northen side of Goodenough Island, MBP, PNG - - and
    - Ulauya Mission, (to the north of Vivigani airport, E side of Goodenough Is., MBP., PNG. - -
    - Bolubolu Administration Centre, (to the S of Vivigani), Goodenough Is., MBP, PNG
    - Kalo Kalo, West side of Fergusson Island MBP, PNG

Here is an image of the Wesley High School at Salamo, Fergusson Island, PNG... - - - A PM with a name and postal address would be appreciated...
    121502~121689

Attached Files:

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why don't you go there and door knock. Your age will be a problem but not if they see a fine fit man.

You cant sit around waiting for job applications at your age, Get off your *** and stop posting links that only you read and get on a plane.

When a door slams another opens.

And if they say no ask if they need a gardener and work you way up.

People with the bottle to walk in face to face and ask for a job has got some bottle and has confidence in what he is selling.

Writing letters if for the insecure.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

There are no regular flights to those places and only access is by boat... Once I leave Australian waters pension, small as it is STOPS... Then I can re-apply to get pension after I return to OZ...

You buy my boat for 240K and I will use that to fly to Alotau, there buy a 'banana boat with two small outboards and a 200litre drum of fuel and when I get some contacts there-abouts, organise for some more drums full of fuel to be dropped off at strategic locations - -

No other way to get about when and where one wants, as there are no regular flights and larger work-boats go about once in 3 months to pick up copra... :eek: The next nearest working airstrip, with regular commercial flights would be Port Moresby 355.12 km East of Gurney airstrip (near Alotau at -10.310 deg S and 150.543 deg E , for the small boat harbour...) - - - Beyond Salermo, on Fergusson Island (the middle most island in the group), is Hoskins with possibly daily flights somewhere and necessitating a flight of some 247.12 km almost due north... IF I could get a plane to pass by and drop in ???

There are some other small airstrips, but NO regular services... Maintenance of these airstrips is usually by a local mission if they have funds and are expecting a visit... (The need for Names and postal addresses :eek: ) As you may now understand this IS REMOTE... Once on those Islands without ones own boat - YOU WALK.... or stay and wait for another boat with fuel - but NO atm, NO bank, and if the cash-on-hand runs out :eek: :eek: :eek: No luck :p and even with my trusty sat-phone - NO way to deliver the cash...

Small work-boats at Alotau and some banana-boats near Samarai

Attached Files:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Then why would you want to live there?

8. masalai

masalai masalai

- - - - - - - PEACE - - - - - - and quiet, with a fertile farming opportunity and an easy lifestyle, - - and once settled No Wukin Forries... and if anyone wanted to talk to me by phone it would cost them heaps by satellite phone service if I had residual capacity and had charged the batteries... and NO internet...no bureaucrats, no sundry visiting idiots or others to bother one... I happen to like living in remote places, almost totally dependant on my own skills, initiative and capabilities...

- Similarly would you go back and live in one of the inner London suburbs?

I also have some interesting challenges to implement http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/my-little-piece-peace-25962-128.html#post513420 and I need to find a place to do that for myself or someone in need of such integration as a demonstration place for the rest of Melanesia living in relative remoteness...

I am sure you would be familiar with something similar - - to - - "under the shade of a beach almond" - see attached image.... 213 views so far since 09:27 AEST this morning - some 7h20minutes ago..... CNO looks good he?

Attached Files:

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Here is an oldie but goodie, a 44C ready to be joined - The guy who should have built my boat.... 98K instead of a 200k theft

Attached Files:

10. groper

groper Senior Member

i know exactly what you mean mas... was in in west new britain province 2010... absolutely beautiful place... but one needs to be totally self sufficient, no electricity, no running water, nothing but what you create for yourself or draw from the land... eloquent simplicity and solitude in absolute paradise... i imagine retiring in a similar place, albeit may years from now... except i wouldnt sell CNO, id go there WITH CNO and retire - find a way...

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Groper,

Thanks - I know my way around ENB (Rabaul. Warrongoi, Duke-of-Yorks and the Bainings - to Lassul Bay), Bougainville and New Ireland, - Kavieng - (way down on the E coast well past Sir J's place) to what is now called Burunkum... - as well as the Waghi Valley near Mt Hagen...

The Milne Bay Province is but 450 N Miles from Cairns... but I need crew for that run... a 2.5 day passage on both engines, - or, - in economy mode on 1 engine around 5 days... thence a couple of long runs through reef strewn areas and limited recent charting... and no navigation aids like beacons etc...

I am still searching for contacts.... and if anyone out there can help, PLEASE do so...

12. groper

groper Senior Member

I know a guy who knows the milne bay region very well, he used to work up there alot as a marine engine driver / diesel fitter....

If you need crew, im keen :) i live in cairns, so does my friend... we both have the time :)

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi groper,
    Thanks I will certainly bear you in mind as feasibility approaches reality... Could he answer any of the points in "http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/my-little-piece-peace-25962-132.html#post530547" that post - I put quotes around the link so it will remain 'clear and you can send it to your friend if he can answer... Who is the PNG consul there - It used to be Eu Minimbi, but that was a long time ago ('97 ish)...

14. groper

groper Senior Member

i shall ask him for you...

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi groper,
    Thanks I look forward to some news...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.