Sea seals

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by bri70123, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bri70123

bri70123 Junior Member

Hi

I have just replace the sea seals on my pp115 jet drive, The old seal got destroyed by rope so i have nothing to refer to.

Does this look right as the last seal pushed into the housing but didnt 'click' in and sticke out past the housing about 0.5mm, and can be pulled back out easily, is there something missing which holds the last seal in position and stops it sliding back out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks
    ps someone has welded some 8mm round bar onto the end of the fins on the intake grill to strengthen them, as can be seen in the photos, would this cause any problems with cavitation, and would i be better off removing it.
    brian

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Normally No retainer device...

If your seal didn't seat all the way , the seal face may have been dirty or you might have a buildup of whatever assembly paste you used behind the seal. Try tapping it in again ..after the hydraulic pressure formed with the assembly paste squeezes out

Having the seal protrude is OK. The metal edge of the seal seat is shielded from erosion and as a result it will be easier to replace the seal in future.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

in an automotive application they are installed dry, but I have found that using a very light coat of sealant on the outside (like permatex "form-a-gasket") helps glue them in if the housing's grip on the seal is questionable. The permatex does not prevent you from removing it later if necessary, unlike using an actual adhesive caulk.

4. bri70123

bri70123 Junior Member

ok thanks, i 'glued' the final one in with emetal should hold it in and allow it to be removed easily in future...

5. bri70123

bri70123 Junior Member

Sorry emetal is a uk term, its like a two part epoxy mix ....

6. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

The seals should fit within the recess ,if they are the correct thickness, however as long as you are happy that they are retained then you should be ok .The danger occurs not so much in use as when you use a greasegun to fill the gap between the seals with grease,at this time the grease may "hydraulic" the seals out ,particularly when they are new and a tight fit on the shaft, so take care.The "fingers" of the weed grill are designed to vibrate in use ,rather like a tuning fork ,apart from causing a disturbance the 8mm bar will preclude this ,so I would remove it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.