propulsion decisions to make

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by dwamw, Aug 1, 2009.

1. dwamw

dwamw New Member

i have a 14' sunfish sailboat displacement hull. i would like imput as to whether my Berkley mini-jet jet pump powered by a 13-20hp briggs/stratton would give me significantly better performance than electric trolling motors of any size??

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi dwamw, welcome aboard :)

A Sunfish can sorta-kinda plane, given enough wind. Still, they're not meant to be a powerboat. Adding an inboard B&S with a jet drive to one would either take up what little cockpit space it has, or make it rather stern-heavy. I wouldn't expect stellar performance under power in either case. Your proposed drivetrain might have better success in something like an aluminum utility skiff (of which there are plenty all over the place for dirt cheap).

3. dwamw

dwamw New Member

i'm interested in making it into a layout boat for duck hunting. i thought i'd be able to get where i'm going and back, with a little more range, a little quicker w/the jet than w/trolling motors. i know there are some limitations relative to length of hull at the waterline w/displacement hulls, but like you said, these can almost plane. also, i thought i'd make a separate add-on to the stern for the jet so i wouldn't be disturbing the integrity of the hull.

4. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

How about a weedwacker motor and a prop? Lighter than the Brigs.

-jim lee

5. dwamw

dwamw New Member

have you tried a weedwacker? since i have had the minijet sitting around for probably 12 years i thought it might be time to put it to work. thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.