Proper Flushing Of Jet Boat

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Jburke, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Jburke

Jburke New Member

Im looking for some insight on how to properly flush the entire cooling system on a 79 Thahiti w/Panther Jet. It has 454 Big Block, but the last time I took it out the temp raced to near red-line. Does anybody have any tips?

2. Riverjet502

Riverjet502 Junior Member

Just disconnect the cooling line coming off the jet pump (probably easier at the "Y" pipe) and attach a fitting to this line that will allow you to connect a garden hose to it. Very simple. On mine I just pull the cooling hose off the pump and slide a small piece of garden hose over the bib on the through hull fitting and flush away...

3. jburke1

jburke1 New Member

Overheating Issue

I've Flushed It As Instructed And Replaced The Thermostat With An "oe" One. It Is Still Getting Hot! With The Garden Hose Attached, Water Flows Evenly From Both Exhuast Ends. I Dont See Any Evidence Of Water In The Oil, So I'm Not Sure What Is Causing This Issue. Any Ideas?

4. Riverjet502

OK it sounds like your t-stat is not opening. They don't like silt and sand very well. If you are using a automotive thermostat take it out and do not use it. I am assuming that you are running "wet" exhaust. If you desire to run a thermostat you need to run a thermostat byepass kit. Rex Marine or CP Performance sells these. I don't run a T-stat in my jet. My cooling comes off my pump goes through a thru-hull fitting then into a gate valve. From the gate valve the cooling is plumbed into a V-pipe which sends water to my Gill exhaust manifolds on each side of the engine. After the water is pre-heated from the exhaust manifolds it goes into the front of the block. After circulating in the block and heads it comes out the t-stat housing (which has no t-stat) where it dumps into the risers to cool the exhaust since I have an enclosed engine compartment. The reason for the gate valve is so that I can control the amount of water entering the cooling system. This also acts like a reducing valve so that I don't over pressureize the cooling system and milk shake my oil. Hope this helps alittle.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Exellent post --

6. jburke1

jburke1 New Member

Great help!!!! I really appreciate your recommendations. By the way, you solved my overheating issue. YES!

7. Riverjet502

Glad to help out.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.