pp jet parts

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by big foot, Nov 6, 2009.

1. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Hard to accept I know ,but trust me just don't do it. A lot of time and money and you will end up with a boat that will never be right. The history of jets in this country is littered with failed projects that were missmatched from the start, at least you have the opportunity not to make that mistake. Both our boats have 9 inch entry 10 inch exit mixed flow impellers.

2. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

have you got any pics of your boats?

3. anthony goodson

Yes I do have pictures somewhere.I will look. Garry ,forget the jet ,any jet ,it will just be too ineficient in the speed range you are aiming for. You need a propeller either on an outboard or a leg. Here is your next dilemma, up until recently I would have pointed you towards a Transit diesel engine on a leg,yes I know it's an old clunker ,but readily available secondhand ,totally reliable, and upgradeable to 140 hp with turbo and intercooler just right for your boat. But whilst we weren't paying attention politicians ,mainly bliar, moved the goalposts. From last year it has become illegal to use lower taxed red diesel as a propulsion fuel in a leisure craft in the UK. Diesel for leisure marine use is now£6 per gallon and rising, the 100 dollars a barrel mark is just around the corner so that doesn't bode well .Petrol too is expensive but of course the installation costs are lower. Now this petrol/diesel/outboard thing has been chewed over many times on here, safety,reliability economy versus lower installation costs and weight ,explosion risk, and electrical vulnerability and so on ,but perhaps you should start a new thread to take into account the new circumstances ,and projections into the future. I understand that new generation outboards are more economical but I don't know by how much. The auto industry has certainly reacted and my new diesel car has amazing economy ,but the marine leisure industry appear to be stuck with paint it green and treble the price, You have made a good value choice buying a Wilson 23 ,so ask the question on here about your next step. Good luck

4. anthony goodson

Wilsons x 2

Attached Files:

5. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

they look nice mate. bet they go well.

been thinking that im going to put the jet on hold while i build my boat up and when its time for engine to go i'll then decide what route im going to take.

deffo got to be an inboard diesel though.

thanks for all your help and info on the jet drive. may still need to ask you more info in the future.

6. anthony goodson

Ok Garry good luck

7. windydave13

windydave13 Junior Member

Anthony,

Cheers for the info on those seals. I've managed to get them all out and strip down the bearing housing now. I've found a local seal supplier so they're sorted but do you know if the bearing needs to be stainless or not??

Regards

Dave

8. anthony goodson

No it's just a standard bearing ,should be a double row deep groove ball on that .It's protected from moisture by the seals . There should be a drilling in the bottom of the bearing housing to allow any water that finds it's way past the seals out ,before it damages the bearing Check that this is clear,they tend to block up with grease. This tell tale gives you the first indication that your seals are leaking ,keep an eye on it These jets in the beginning were very small volume and off the shelf parts were used where possible.
    nb I am assuming same as 65.

9. windydave13

windydave13 Junior Member

Anthony,

Cheers for the reply. When i first got the boat i thought it was a PP65 but the fact "West End" was cast into the reverse bucket gace things away that it wasn't. It turns out it was made by West End Marine in Yorkshire but basically to the same spec as the PP65. I've been using the PP65 manual to strip it and the only differences i've come across so far have been additional seals. There were 4 in the transom area and then another 3 in the bearing housing, which puts 6 seals between the bearing and the water. The bearing i've removed doesn't have a hole drilled in it but that could be just for this unit. Overall everything is looking in quite good condition, bar the old seals and bearing so i'm hoping with some new parts and the impellor adjusted correctly i can get rid of the cavitation that was occuring at high rpm and maybe even get it to the point where it can pull me ski-ing

10. anthony goodson

If there isn't a hole there I would consider creating one .Perhaps mill a slot at the bottom where the housing bolts onto the body, this joint doesn't need to be air or watertight ,it may save a bearing.

11. flipp640

flipp640 New Member

Hi I’m new on this forum and saw your discussions regarding PP jet. I just bought an PP jet 65 and was looking for some knowledge on this. Most of it is pretty straight on but the intake puzzles me. I saw Garybull drawing and pics on intake and bottom of hull. But it would be great if someone have some measurements or pics on whole bottom shape. I will install my engine and Jet on a 16feet open boat powered by 150 BHP Volvo aq140. At moment I’ gathering data and info until winter lets it grip here in Sweden before I can start work. Will install engine and jet on test platform before install in the boat.

12. anthony goodson

Welcome flipp640 ,The PP65 aluminium jet casing forms only the rear part of the intake ,the forward part is a pre moulded GRP box which is bonded into the hull ,this aligns the jet in the boat ,in that it sets the correct transom angle and can be laminated in to provide a smooth transition over various deadrise angles. The shape of this is important and measurement alone is unlikely to be enough for you to create one.
    Perhaps you could take a mould from whatever hull this jet was removed from.

13. flipp640

flipp640 New Member

PP jet

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to say Sweden is still very conservativ against water jet so jet propulsion is rare :(. I imported mine from UK . since my last atmpt with an 1100cc jet from a Kawaskai PWC was unsuccesful I wanted a bigger jet and saw PP had the intak to the jet on outside and I though this would be easier. Ok so it will be learning by doing case :).

14. anthony goodson

Flipp 150hp in a 16ft open boat,means a fairly high speed ,this is where intake design becomes important. Brent Voce at Naiad Dynamics can be very helpful,maybe he has a drawing, his detais are on this thread, alternatively Windydave has contact with a company that produced a similar jet ,maybe they can help I haven't worked on a 65 for some years now but I wil look through my old papers and see what I can find ,I think a line drawing of the profile from a spec sheet is the best that can be hoped for there.

15. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Flipp, I have been doing quite a few things both with PP/Vosper jets and others over the years. Understand you are in Sweden somewhere, give me a mail with your phone nr and I'll call you.

Btw, you are pretty off center regarding waterjet "culture" in S, but we can adress that over the phone.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.