Positioning Exhaust

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by nbehlman, Jul 3, 2016.

1. nbehlman

nbehlman Junior Member

I'm building a custom 14ft runabout powered by a 1995 tiger shark Monte Carlo motor and jet pump. I need to drill a hole in the transom for the exhaust and I want to make sure I don't screw or up. Where should I locate the hole relative to the waterline? Above? Below? In the middle? The engine exhaust goes through a water box, which is fed by cooling water. I suppose this is to serve as a muffler. The engine exhaust and cooling water exit through the exhaust hole together. I was going to put it right about on the wateterline, half submerged. Is that the right thing to do? I guess it will be completely out of the water when the boat is planing. Does it really matter?

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I would put it well above the waterline unless the exhaust has some means like a siphon or water trap that prevents water entering the manifold. And even above the waterline I would install a thru hull with a rubber flap.

3. nbehlman

nbehlman Junior Member

Found a few pictures of the same model jet ski from which I scavenged my propulsion plant.
    Here's a link to the pwctoday thread with the pictures:
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=279620

It looks like the exhaust is positioned as low as I can go. It's slightly above the jet nozzle only because of the deadrise angle. There's a big rubber tube connecting the water is to the exhaust penetration. I guess that would serve to prevent backflow into the waterbox? I'm still not sure how this waterbox is supposed to work...

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.