Volvo Penta - cracked block???

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by hka61, Oct 19, 2007.

1. hka61

hka61 New Member

Took my boat in to get winterized (a Volvo Penta 4.3) and the mechanic said when he drained the oil it was full of water - I guess it was all white and foamy. He said the block was cracked and that I need a new motor. However, the day before I took it in I was out on the water and the engine ran just fine - the temperature stayed low, no wierd sounds or anything. It was not cold enough for anything to freeze between the time I took it out of the water and then the mechanic went to drain the oil.

Could it be something else - gas (or water thru the gas) getting into the oil. Can a motor even run when the block is cracked? Could it be the head gasket instead?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Could be all of those things. Could also be the mechanic wants to sell you an engine.

It could also be condensation. Put new oil in it and run it again.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive been told my last post is not true by an anonimous deductor. Come on then why am I wrong, oh shy one.

4. blared

blared ALFA

I would let some other mechanic check it too. It might be a head gasket too.. but you said the engine ran fine...you would know if it was cracked.

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

could just be a cracked head,,,or head gasket as stated above ,run a compression check on it ,

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

and frosty ,,Ill probably be next ,,but they must do this ( the piont deduction thing) anomously,,you see frosty ,,,,they have no balls,,,,you might come through the computer and clean thier clock or something,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.