Using (gear selector) shift control for throttle??

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Northeaster, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

Hi Folks,

Building a 25' power boat and will be doing final engine/gear install soon, and am on a budget.
    It will have a used Cummins 4BT Marine with a Velvet drive 71C 1:1 gear.
    I have a used single lever control (dual function) but it's old and I happened to be in my local marine store today. They have a great deal on two brand new single lever controls, but unfortunately, they are both for gear selector (i.e marked forward and astern...) whereas I would have liked to find one for gear selector and another for throttle, or a dual control, etc.

Other than the label, and the three recessed pinstops, is there any reason I could not use one of them for throttle control?
    In other words, is the throw action or other mechanics the same?
    I could even drill a few more pin stops, so that I could incrementally hold the lever at various stages of throttle!

If it's a bad idea, I will pass...and I would rather have either a nice, new single lever -dual control or new dual controls, but the price is right on these...

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Throttle controls usually have a friction clutch to keep it from creeping. You can use it, but will have to keep the hand on the throttle at all times.

3. Northeaster

Thanks for the reply! OK - I am familiar with the not so optimal setup issue you mention - my almost 40 year old sailboat was repowered with a 1982 yanmar 2Gm sometime before I bought it about 10 years ago and the old dual controls were reused. There were a couple of bulldog type clamps on the throttle cable to try and combat what was lacking by not having the proper clutch on the throttle control. I have just lived with it, as I sail most of the time anyway, but it would not be desirable on this powerboat.
    The lever does have a recessed spring ball bearing, that hold it lightly at the 3 pinstops - as mentioned, I could drill more pin stops in between the ones there, so the shifter would effectively stay in any spot along the way, unless pushed more firmly - but again, may not be worth it. They are in the bargain bin at $50 each vs $250 and up for dual controls - not sure of the quality of these vs competitors..
    - would you know what cables they take, ie Morse 33 type or others?
    - And, why is there what looks like a cable connector at each end of the bar that moves with the control? I would have thought it would have a connector only on 1 side.... for the one cable end...

My old used (side mounted) single lever dual cable control that I may use for now looks like the style common in outboards - would that pose any issues if it was used / set up for an outboard? Would they have a friction clutch?

thanks for any additional help!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They are universal. You can connect the cable at either end depending if you want them to push or pull for forward.

5. Northeaster

OK -thanks I figured it must be so you could push or pull, or else perhaps mount it in the opposite direction and still have the cable push or pull as needed.

I did call the manufacturer / Victory controls store, and the gentleman there told me that it could be used for either, so I may give them a shot.

6. Northeaster

Bought them today, and they actually have a reversible "label" so it can be changed from ahead/ astern to slow / fast for throttle use! I don't see a clutch or tension device, but I have not looked closely. The pinstop plate is just held onto the main body with 2 screws, so it may be supposed to be removed for throttle use...i.e. do not need the pinstops like in gear selector, fwd, neutral, reverse.

Manufacturer docs said use Morse 43 cables but they have 1/4" ends and this unit fits the # 10 ends of a Morse 33 cable, so I guess taht's what I will use. They may have changed at some time and not updates their specs...which are limited...

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It may have a friction plate. Usually it is a spring loaded brass or stainless big washer thing. You increase the friction by tightening the center bolt.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.