Sterntube and shaft design help for new build 10m boat

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by yodani, Mar 24, 2013.

1. yodani

yodani Senior Member

Thanks for the fast reply.

I was looking for a supplier of GFO here in the EU without success. If anyone knows an online store selling this please let me know.

My boats make about 700 hours per year that is why i ask. Just now i came of one boat that has a terrible leak at the gland. It's anoying...

I use rigid packing gland attached straight to the stern tube. This is transmitting more vibration but is bullet proof in the winter when freezing water in the tube can push the rubber hose off the stern tube... Ask me how i know...

This spring i almost lost a boat with a Volvo rubber gland.... It was filled wit water on the point to sink when i got a phone calll...

The new one i am building has to be better... I hope

Daniel

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

3. yodani

yodani Senior Member

:D Yes SamSam,

It will be noted in the "log" :)

When i have removed the old tube i had to cut it out as it was embeded in the epoxy.

That log kept the hull afloat when the Danube flooded this spring and it was dripless :))

Cheers,

Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.