351 marine engine/351 car engine

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by jrbrailsford, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jrbrailsford

jrbrailsford New Member

I have a ford 351 "175" omc engine that is cracked, I was wondering if it does run opposite from a 351 car motor and if I should replace with a marine motor or can I swap parts to a car block and use that? Also, did all the 351 marine motors turn opposite?
    Thank you for all your help
    Jerry

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

To turn the other way around, the engine would need another cam and starter motor. I cannot think of a good reason to do that, but OMC might have thought different about that.

You can acquire a car engine, look at the cams with cylinder 1 in tdc. If they look very different, use the cam shaft and starter motor from your current engine. Of course also adjust the ignition timing.

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Unless your OMC engine was part of a twin engine installation, where typically one runs clockwise (RH) and the second CCW (LH) as viewed from the OUTPUT, your engine is most likely a LH, the same as a car or truck. YES, the blocks are the same as the car/truck, regardless of rotation. Internals of marine engines are mostly truck parts. Camshaft could be slightly different in a truck but will work fine. Car camshafts are more "aggresive" and lack the low speed torque necessary in a boat

4. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

I'm pretty sure you have a 302 if it's a 175. The 351w was rated at 235 Hp. If you're going by the 351 cast in the heads - both engines used 351w heads for the marine versions in Mercruisers - probably OMC too.

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

The 302 Intake manifold is just under 9 in. wide. 351 intakes are around 10 in. wide. My 1974, 302 Mercruiser heads have '302' cast - in under the valve covers.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If you get the block number you may get the specifics for that engine, probably online off the internet too.

Oh Oh Oh Oh I see it's a Ford. They don't even qualify for anchors nowadays :D
    (Ok, I'll admit, I'm a chevy fan :D)

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, Fanie.

Ford engines make excellent anchors....:D

8. jrbrailsford

jrbrailsford New Member

Thank you all for the advice

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.