350 Chevy SB inboard

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by mikealston2428, May 10, 2013.

1. mikealston2428

mikealston2428 Senior Member

Hi guys,
    I am currently rebuilding my 350 Chevy small block inboard, I have a couple of questions about the bottom end.
    1st question is about pip pump drive and shaft.
    The attached photos is with the engine up side down and looking at the oil pump drive and shaft.
    As you can see in the photo the shaft is not positioned down over the oil pump drive, should there be a spacer on the shaft to push it over the oil pump drive or does this simply drop down over drive when engine is wright way up ? ?
    Second question is about oil pans nut torque settings.
    I am installing a 1 piece oil pan gasket.
    Is the correct torque setting for these nits 12 ft pnds ?
    Are all nuts torqued to the same setting or are the corner nuts tourqed to a higher setting ? ?
    Any help with these 2 questions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance Mike.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The torque on the oil pan nuts depends on the style engine you have. Are there four studs , two on each side of the end main bearings? The shaft that drives the pump is sandwiched between the pump and the distributor. The distributor is connected to the gear on the camshaft and drives the pump. Remember to align the slot in the pump with the flat drive on the distributor.

3. mikealston2428

Hi mate,
    Please see pic there are 2 studs at the front and 1 at the back

Attached Files:

4. mikealston2428

More pics

Attached Files:

5. mikealston2428

Another pic

Attached Files:

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

That photo shows the pump drive going into the plastic coupler which has the shaft that goes up to meet the distributor

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

get an official manual!!

Why don't you get a proper repair manual for that particular engine ??? Modern day engines are lot more complicated than the older engines that were simple and could repaired with your eyes shut just about !!:D

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

whats old?
    that design came out in 1955

9. RufNutt

RufNutt Junior Member

The engine itself has not changed the components that we bolt to our engines have . Fuel injection, turbo charged , computers . They just give a man a headache. I still run a Holley 750 double pumper and a billet distributor which I can fine tune with a little work. Search the internet lot's of info on the SB Chevy . As per gaskets I have never tightened down a gasket with a tourque wrench. It is all feel and look until you see the gasket squeeze out enough to seal. I usually seal my oil pan gaskets with a little ultra copper especially where different material meets or in the corners. Valve cover gaskets I usually seal to the valve cover over night with ultra copper. Then the next day bolt them to the motor . This way they don't get squished out and you can take them off for an adjustment just in case it is needed.

Also clean the paint off the surface where the oil filter rubber seals. You will tell what surface look at a filter and see where the rubber seals seals too the block. I see a big orange circle. If you do not clean the paint off you will have a big job getting the oil filter off first time.

10. mikealston2428

Hi guys,
    Bottom end finished.
    Thanks to all on this site with all the great help.
    It's on to the top end now

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.