1987 Ski Supreme Engine Mount Repair

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Wakeboarderwski, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Wakeboarderwski

Wakeboarderwski Junior Member

It was on this Forum that I found out that in 1987 the Ski Supreme Tournament Ski Boat switched to a metal Stringer. What kind and how it was installed, I am not clear about. Well a few seasons ago, I realized that some of the engine mounting plate bolts were breaking. This spring I decided it was time to replace the breaking bolts before things broke lose.

Here is a video to show how I made the repair. Yes, the 1987 Ski Supreme does have a steal stringer I think thats made of angle iron. How far it travels under the floor, I am not sure but under the floor everything is holding great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OePLbh_K2q0

I hope this helps out others with 1987 Ski Supremes or newer.

2. FredSkier

FredSkier New Member

Another 87 Ski Supreme Owner

Excellent advice and video. I bought the same boat 2 yrs ago, and broke one bolt head off. Other bolts OK, but untouched. Good to know how to do this should I need to. Believe I may have some water inside the compartments in the rear. Have you or anyone else experience with this or how these areas are constructed to assist with draining?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Some manufactures have tried this, but mixed results is the usual result. Mild steel just isn't the right material. The stringer is capped with a section of angle stock, roughly the length of the engine bay. The S shaped bed, bolts to this, as you've found.

Fred, the liner on your boat doesn't have drainage from the factory. This is common and causes moisture to build up, between the hull shell and the liner. The usual fix, assuming you don't have a bunch of foam that's water soaked (also a common issue) is to install a drain at the aft end of the liner, usually under the splash well. Often you need to cut the liner and make a little well. A standard 1" drain sleeve is bonded in place (if desired) and it allows any accumulated moisture to drain aft, out the hole to collect in the well, where a transom drain, will permit it to exit the boat, when tilted up, on the trailer during storage.

Lastly carefully check the sole of your boat Fred, as there's likely a several holes from old equipment, loose fasteners, etc, letting water get under it. This can and will rot out wooden stringers and soles (yet another common problem). From the factory, the sole is sealed and no moisture can get between the hull shell and liner, but in use and some age, things get screwed down without bedding or sealants, old sealants fail and moisture finds its way in. I've pulled up soles (decks) to find 500 pounds of soaked foam, stringers and trapped water, so consider your options.

4. FredSkier

FredSkier New Member

Water Drainage Suggestions

PAR: Excellent. In checking the sole I did have a leak at the rudder mount - the rudder slightly bent it turns out too, all replaced this past autumn by a very experienced inboard repair shop, and I've sealed up the other sites that looked questionable, such as the platform bolts. I will try the drain as you suggested - I had not thought of that location/technique & it makes the most sense, thus avoiding multiple holes. to the liner, sole, and hull that I thought might be needed. The health of the stringers, sole, etc appear good the best I can tell as the boat was trailered always, and the engine position is stable.

5. Wakeboarderwski

Wakeboarderwski Junior Member

Hello FredSkier. Glad your ski supreme engine mount is secure in it's current state. From what I can see so far, it was a great design. The ski pole which is braced to the metal stringers, is secure at all points. No signs of stress or cracking.
    Thanks for the report on report on metal stringers PAR. Installing drain ports on both liners is on the to do list. I will be removing the fuel tank to inspect the transom and rear exhaust hose connection. Perfect time to install the drain ports.

6. FredSkier

FredSkier New Member

Keep in Touch

Good to hear, Wakeboarderwski. I'll let you both know how it goes when I've accomplished the drainage. Do keep in touch. PS: My only other issue is replacing or repairing my speedometers - I'm missing the adjustment knobs which be nice to have to synch them. Any advice welcome.

7. chrisvand

chrisvand New Member

Ski Supreme mount agle irons

The angle irons to which the motor mounts are bolted are completely rusted on my ski supreme. Does anybody know if replacement parts can be found anywhere?

8. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

It's Easy to get some 90 degree aluminum plate and cut to size. Check eBay.