Solution to problem of hull speed

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Robert Jansen, Mar 13, 2015.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The first requirement is to put your brain into gear and do some research on the suggestions put forward and not try to blast thread poster out of the picture with hasty preconceived mostly incorrect assumptions about a developing subject.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

My thoughts are that the OP is making an extraordinary claim, which would require substantial proof to be taken seriously, so far there are claims, but not hard evidence.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Dear all, I think it is not worth to be here arguing with each other because of an idea that we do not know what it is. We read big words, very grand, but no one yet knows what he means, at least I do not understand anything.
    I respect a lot, why not ?, Robert Jansen but from the first moment I thought he had nothing particular to say. The intervening days are proving that I was right.
    My affectionate greetings to RJ and everyone else and my desire that he ever tell us something and , of course, I'll be the first to encourage anyone who has an idea worth. But to do this, he has to explain me.

4. Mr Efficiency

He has jumped the gun, TANSL, the time to come in with the victory speech is after the war is won. He can then say, "Mission Accomplished". :D Just make sure it really is won first ! :rolleyes:

5. johnhazel

johnhazel Senior Member

Really? You actually ran tests to verify that your powered wave devouring system doesn't work if it's not given any power? How many runs did it take before you considered those results conclusive?

In the days of the California Gold Rush very few miners made a profit. The big profits were made by the outfitters that sold things to the miners. You, are a "miner". The lawyers and bankers are the "outfitters".

6. Mr Efficiency

That undoubtedly did raise a few eyebrows round the place, but anyone can have a little brain fade occasionally. Hopefully it isn't more chronic than that ! :D

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I will be willing to wager $10.00 .US it doesn't work within a year.

Probably never , but a year would be long enough if it did work.

Any takers?

Hope I don't have to open an offshore bank to pay or receive the money., and NSA (no such agency) isnt logging my key strokes!

8. Mr Efficiency

Careful Fred, that sounds reckless. :D Actually, I doubt you'd get takers at odds of 100 to 1, it is an unlikely proposition to succeed.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I'll take the bet with one condition. The vessel must be built at Lalaland Marine.

10. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

So you want it to be built close to their concepts and design office?

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, I don't want to place undue burden on them. They probably have their medication delivered there.

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Probably I do not get it right, because in that case I would ask me, you need to hint that this man is a "patient" who needs some medication?. I don't think so.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It's an intellectual quip

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It is an "intellectual" (????) quip that could have been avoided.

15. Robert Jansen

Robert Jansen Junior Member

Internet was down for 2 days, hence the delay in reply.

I am going to delineate some of the underlying considerations which led me to my invention.

The patent issues on 3/31/2015. For those who wish to know, the US patent number will be 8.992,326. I have until July 15 to file internationally under the 30 month rule of the PCT. Some countries have slightly longer filing periods, some substantially longer (up to 2 additional years). I will be filing for protection in all countries which have a significant maritime presence, with emphasis on boat, yacht and ship production.

Understanding my work is simple, when viewed from the proper perspective, so here is a short, short explanation:

Start with the principle of equivalence. The dynamic models of a hull transiting the water at a given speed and water flowing past a hull fixed in space at the same speed are identical. This should be obvious to all concerned. I leave proof of this as an exercise for the student.

Additionally, it is virtually axiomatic that, all other things being equal, closed systems are more efficient than open ones. They do not waste energy. Therefore, designing a more efficient hull is almost certainly going to incorporate the concept of closed flow.

Reduced to its simplest terms, designing a powered displacement hull is not all that different from designing a pump with a major restriction between its input and output. The interplay between the need for closed flow and a practical hull form is equivalent to optimizing the problem of moving volume of water around an fixed obstruction and then putting it back where it was with a minimum of head loss.

The simplest of such systems, as it applies to displacement hulls, is semicylindrical below the waterline with a venturi axially aligned with the center of buoyancy. It should be obvious that the propulsion system fits in the throat of the venturi.

I have chosen to split the single venturi into two, one port and the other starboard, topologically modifying the axis of each venturi so the outer walls hug the exterior of the hull as closely as practical, with allowances for structure. Note that the interaction of the venturis with what basically starts out as a rectangular block results in a clipper bow above the water line, a bulbous bow below, a canoe stern aft, and the hydrodynamic equivalent of a fish tail in the afterbody below the wqterline.

The propulsion system is obviously split port and starboard as well.

Next step is to cut away the sections of the hull form fore and aft of the propellor tunnels that are unnecessary to asymptotically close flow under weigh.

The primary hull form is now complete.

Secondary elements are necessary to accommodate rough seas. This is accomplished through the use of delay lines, in the form of flumes positioned above the propellor tunnels port and starboard, to perform the hydrodynamic equivalent of rectification of ac into dc.

The hull is predicted to be more stable in pitch, roll and yaw. It will be more stable in pitch because the forward sections will have no tendency to lift. It will be more stable in roll because the closed flow will couple dynamically with the vessel's displacement. It will be more stable in yaw because in following seas the moment arm between the propellors and the center of buoyancy will be greatly reduced. Additionally, because of the mass distribution, the polar moment of inertia in all three axes will be less than conventional designs.

This is my last comment until the prototype is finished and tested. I'm still waiting for parts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.