Scale Effect at Low Reynolds Numbers

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Earl Boebert, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Earl Boebert

Earl Boebert Senior Member

Thanks. Another gentleman and I are starting to get a handle on the specific problem I was interested in, and may have some results to report "real soon now."

Marbleheads consistently sail at displacement hull limits, with occasional "surfing" behavior. I am not aware of any that can plane consistently. RG65s generally stay strictly in displacement mode.

RG65s and Marbleheads have type formed to very similar configurations except for length/displacement ratios. A 65cm RG65 is typically 1 to 1.1 kg whereas a modern 1290 cm Marblehead runs 4 to 4.5 kg. Older Marblehead designs from the 1940s and 1950s do scale down nicely to RG65 dimensions, being in the 8 kg range.

Cheers,

Earl

2. kilocharlie2

kilocharlie2 Junior Member

Doug - Big THANK YOU!!! for the links to the NASA archives. I'm going to print those and possibly laminate every page, haha. Those are both keepers.