Sail camber

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by oatsandbeans, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Doug Halsey

Doug Halsey Senior Member

Not disputing anything in the above quote, but the last few sentences in the video seem misleading :

Since the pressure distribution on the surface plays a significant role in causing the viscous stresses in the boundary layer & wake, wouldn't you still have to say that it's important in determining both the pressure drag & the friction drag, and that manipulating the pressure distribution is far from an exercise in futility?

2. markdrela

markdrela Senior Member

Assuming the airfoil or sail design is reasonable, i.e. without separation, and also the transition location is more or less fixed, then manipulating the pressure distribution via camber, thickness, or other shape changes, will have very little effect on the viscous dissipation and on profile drag. There will be SOME effect because the average surface velocity depends on the lift and the thickness, for example, but these are weak effects. For example, compared to a NACA0001 airfoil at Re=5M, the NACA0006 has 500% more frontal area, but only 13% more drag.

The video comment refers to is the following fallacy I've heard: One can reduce pressure drag by reducing the pressures on on upstream-facing surfaces and increasing the pressure on downstream-facing surfaces. Or correspondingly, by increasing lift on the jib and decreasing lift on the main. This is futile as the video says, because the changes in the sail geometry needed to modify the pressures like this will compensate for the changes in the pressures, for no net effect in the integrated pressure drag.

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

So I guess this explanation is totally incorrect??

Attached Files:

4. markdrela

markdrela Senior Member

I was talking about drag, and specifically pressure drag. Bogataj is talking about lift.

But the lift involves boundary layers nevertheless...

The reason why a head+main combination works better is that it controls the BLs better. I know that Bogataj knows this, although he doesn't say this explicitly in your quoted part. Specifically, the interaction of the two sail elements allows a greater maximum lift to be attained before BL separation sets in. That is its main benefit over a single sail.

Note that if there were no BLs and no flow separation, a single sail would work just as well as a head+main sail, and in fact the sail's camber wouldn't matter either. Therefore, I think it's pointless to argue the aerodynamic pros and cons of different sail configurations without addressing the configuration's effect on BL behavior.

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Speaking of boundary layers, here is an older quote of Tom Speer that I saved:

6. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Thank you very much Mr Drela for this private lecture.

Fortunatly I have a very good CFD book, (ISBN-13: 978-0262526449) and your post prompted me to have a thourough reading of chapter 4

But unfortunatly, it still remains a bit hard to chew within a short period of time for a rookie like me. So I have to continue my homework before to be sure to actually understand.

In the exemple provided: Naca 01 vs Naca05 @ 5M reynolds;
    Even if the relationship is not exactly linear , the average slope of the curve is really tiny +13% vs +500%

From this example, can we conclude that an appropriate XFOIL simulation @ 0° AoA could be a good proxy to measure the influence of thickness on profil drag ?

Best regards

Erwan