I have seen examples of wing sails on multihulls, but have not seen any on mono-hulls.
How about the Moths?.
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photos/internationalmoth/yandy56103.jpg
To install this app on your iPhone:
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I have seen examples of wing sails on multihulls, but have not seen any on mono-hulls.
I have seen examples of wing sails on multihulls, but have not seen any on mono-hulls.
For the sake of argument, has anyone thought of the idea of putting multiple wing sails on a boat, in either a ketch or schooner form.
The one attraction I see to wing sails is that they can be feathered into the wind--especially if they have a symmetrical foil shape--producing no lift and very little drag.
I am imagining a wing sail which has three major components: a wing, a flap, and a tail with an arm.
The flap increases the lift of the sail, somewhat making up for its symmetrical foil shape. The tail with an arm will insure it feathers completely into the wind in a storm.
The same thing applies in small monos - wing masts have been tried and have failed in many classes (12s, Rs, 18s, Gwens, Moths, boards, Merlins, Canoes among them) and only work well in a few.
Everything I've seen the "aircraft theorist" write here actually matches perfectly with what actually occurs in our sailing vessels. The same can't be said of most of the amateurs who decry the rigs that work and spuriously claim that they are only used because of rating rules or tradition.
I think some of CT's criticism is directed at me and my aftmast ideas. I have commented both on my website and on the forums here about the 'conservative nature' of the sailing community accepting unusual ideas, and the rating rules utilized in a number of instances 'outlawing' new ideas...... The odd thing is that some people just make up conspiracy theories (like blaming rating rules and conservatism) to explain why most sailors ignore wing masts, when the simple truth seems to be that the issues they create are normally not worth the efficiency they introduce.
A few years later I designed three or four rigs with a spar forestay, believing that by doing away with the backstays, a saving in wind resistance could be made, but none of the owners of these yachts liked or kept the spar forestays, and gave them up. The spar forestay is not an invention of mine, but has been used in central Europe for thirty or forty years, and there is probaby something in it, although the revolving streamline ones are my invention.
In 1925 I was much interested in schemes for reducing the wind resistance of rigs when closed-hauled. I was working for Starling Burgess at the time, and perhaps because he had been an aeroplane designer we were over wind resistance conscious. At any rate I was allowed patents on a double luff rig with revolving or oscillating mast. This scheme was developed principally to do away with exposed wires and an R boat. I believe it did away with about 200 running feet; in other words, there was no headstay, intermediate shrouds, upper shrouds or backstays.
The R boat Live Yankee was designed to come out with this rig, but the regatta committee of the New York Yacht Club, hearing of it, promptly passed the rule prohibiting revolving masts, double luffed sails, and similar contrivances.
excerpt said:The New York State Supreme Court ended Britain's plans for 1988 by ruling last week against the Royal Burnham Yacht Club, Blue Arrow's club sponsor. The club aligned itself with the San Diego Yacht Club, the America's Cup defender, in asking for recognition as a challenger. Redfern said the syndicate planned to stay involved in cup campaigns at least through 1991. The group's major financial support comes from Blue Arrow, an international employment agency, and de Savary.