North 3D Mainsail failure

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by brian eiland, Jun 28, 2015.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I recently moved down to St Augustine FL, and a new neighbor was telling me about an older gentleman who was embarking on a solo transit of the world to challenge Dodge Morgan's one. But he indicated that the boat (a custom build by Lyman-Morse Boatbuilding from Farr designs) had failed on the first two attempts. That person told me that a broken mast was the culprit on both occasions, but I see from this website that it was the mainsail on the second attempt. (don't yet know about the first case?)

If you go to this blog, ...and then scroll down to
    http://stanleyparis.com/?cat=2
    "My Silence Ends"
    So I have 2 initial questions:
    1) Should a hi-tech North 3Di sail fail like this?
    2) Appears to be a failure at a seam,...thus why would North sails not have a good idea about the cause of failure??

Attached Files:

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

3. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Dude's got some bad luck, but lot's of tenacity.
    Best regards to Dr. Stan on his next attempt.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"When North started making the 3Di sails they were making them 100 percent aramid or 100 percent carbon, but they were brittle and breaking, so now it’s a mix of aramid and Dyneema (Spectra) "

Sounds like he got an old batch of cloth.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.