Low-speed sailboat hull

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by laukejas, Oct 12, 2014.

1. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Well, I have orbital sander. It isn't exactly suited to be used with the method in that pdf, I guess... And removing that much wood with sandpaper would probably take days. Still, it's a very sophisticated method as far as I can tell.

Okay, my guess was pretty close. I adjusted per your recommendation. Thanks!

I'll continue working on building plans. About 75% done now.

2. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

One more question, if I may. I've been googling with little success about this issue. For this project, I'll have a great lot of wood to rip. As I've mentioned, I have no table saw, nor a circular saw. Only a jigsaw. I also have a japanese pull-saw, but I guess it would be horrible to rip dozens of meters by hand.

I'm planning to set up jigsaw upside down on the table, and use it as tablesaw (with width guidance) to rip wood. The problem with this setup is that the blade might bend somewhat, and cuts won't be an exact 90°. Maybe it will work, but I don't know. I have no experience with such setup.

Another problem is that I'll have to rip pieces as thick as 7cm. It goes beyond my jigsaw's specifications. I can, of course, buy a long blade, rip slow, and hope for the best, but I guess the results might be less than satisfactory.

I've checked specifications of circular saws that are sold in our hardware stores, and it seems that none of them have cut depth deeper than 6cm, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest into one.

Can anybody please advise me how can I prepare for ripping of wood with minimal further investment? The table saw is out of the question. Maybe I can invest into a circular saw - as a last resort - but it as I've said, it doesn't seem they are suited for ripping thick wood.

Thank you in advance!

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Laukejas; Your country is a small one but it is certainly not a primitive one. In principal cities such as Kaunas, Vilnius, or Klaipeda there are bound to be lumber yards who furnish materials to the building trades. Some of those have milling capabilities to accommodate their customers. There are also stand alone small businesses whose main focus is milling lumber to specification. Either of those firms can rip, plane, profile your material to exact dimensions. They will charge a fee for doing that work but it will be less than you will need to spend for a portable rotary saw (generic name in US is Skilsaw) Your Skilsaw will not produce the quality of work that a proper machine will do so easily and precisely. You will get perfect parts and save yourself a lot of grief, sweat, and frustration. Finding those sources is only a matter of indulging in a determined search. Do it!

I have a high end table saw, band saw, router, sander, and other tools appropriate for boat building. If I build a dinghy I will do my own work with my own machinery. On the other had if I were to build a stripper canoe or something that needed a large number of carefully milled parts, I'll be damned if I do all that work myself. The local milling firm can do it faster and better than I can, even though I have good equipment. My tools are good but they do not equal their tools.

You may even find someone who is sympathetic toward your boat building ambitions. Old line craftsmen are often helpful and encouraging to young people who are determined to learn and practice their work ethic. You have seen ample evidence of that right here on this forum.

4. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Well, I could try to search *again*, because I actually did search for such lumber yard. This was back in the days when I needed to make boom jaw pieces for my first boat (the bottle raft), and didn't have anything but a hammer and a push-saw.
    After a long and hard search, in which I had to dismiss several lumber yards because of their lousy reputation, I found one that was recommended as the best. I paid 30$ for cutting of 10 small parts, and, well, they broke one of the parts, and the rest had deviations as large as 1/2'' from provided plans. When I came to get my parts, the guy who delivered was totally drunk. That day I learned that the "best" doesn't necessarily equal "good".

That left me a bit skeptical, with a certain "better do it myself attitude" :D But I understand your reasoning well. I'll try to search again, maybe times have changed, if only a bit. If I manage to find people who won't screw up like those I mentioned, it would certainly save a lot of work and frustration.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

For other folks with the same problem , but with foam available,

Locate someone with a Variiac , make a wooden bow that is longer than the rudder blank is deep.

String the bow with nichrome wire.

Fasten 2 templates for rudder top and bottom onto the foam blank .Mark them every inch or so, around the edge

When you power the wire up and its glowing red with a helper use the markings to keep the wire straight as you cut thru the blank.

Call out as you reach each number to stay even.

This works for rudders , centerboards or most simple shapes.

Epoxy does not dissolve most foam so the first layer over the foam must be epoxy , the rest can be cheaper polly.

A similar method , hot wire is used in constructing combat model aircraft wings.

6. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Okay, I've done it. This thread is getting too big, and it's in wrong section anyway, so let me start fresh.

Click the link to continue :)

The Melatelia: light wind dinghy

7. John82

John82 New Member

Hi,

Just because this thread is an only mention on the web except corporate site, i'd like to ask - Have any of you ever tried this sailboat - Winboat F460 Sailboat? http://winboat.net/winboat-f460-sailboat/ any experiences? good/bad?
    Sorry for the off-topic though I'm really interested in buying it and everyone here seems quite knowledgeable & experienced...

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Good to hear from you John.

I might mention the other big consideration, cost.

If you really need a foldable, motorable, inflatable sailing dinghy - this seems to be well thought out. It would make a fantastic yacht tender for example, but you might not be able to keep up with other sailing boats around the same size under sail.

Comparing with other not so specialized sailing dinghy's might show how much cheaper you can get into sailing, if this matters.