MAGIC engine

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by charmc, Aug 29, 2007.

1. charmc

charmc Senior Member

The Magnesium Injection Cycle engine is powered without using fossil fuels.
    Power is generated by the chemical reaction between magnesium and water, which produces high-power steam and hydrogen. The hydrogen is burned at the same time to produce more high-power steam, and the two steam sources power the engine. The new technology produces no carbon dioxide or other harmful emissions and the only by-products from this reaction are water and magnesium oxide. The magnesium is separated from the oxide through a solar-powered laser process and is reused over and over again as fuel. This clean energy cycle, which is supported by solar power, has the potential to reduce dependence on fossil fuels, and could bring about a paradigm shift in the way future energy needs are met.

http://www.mitsubishi.com/mpac/e/mon...608/green.html

Attached Files:

2. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Okay, where's the catch? Is it expensive?

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I just read about this somewhere.;)

The exciting thing about the MAGIC engine is that it introduces competition to the market, the first time since the demise of the steam and electric motor cars.

Just watch oil prices drop like a brick striving to hedge it out of the market before it gains a foothold. No conspiracy theories, just open/free market greed at work.

4. StianM

StianM Senior Member

You would not be able to reuse all the magnesium I supose.

Energy to seperate magnesium from the megnesium oxcyde would be high and I doubt it would do good outside a laberatory.

My two cents

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

OK Charlie - so it works in practice - but will it work in theory ?

6. StianM

StianM Senior Member

why would it nead a solar powered laser? Could it not produce it's own power trough a generator?:confused:

Dos it nead 5w from solar power to produce 4 on it's own?

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Most likely. The advantage over typical solar-storage systems would be power density and immediate output. It is basicaly a rechargable primary battery. Many naval weapon system have been using lightweight sea water/active metal batteries for years.

My money says that an analysis will show that the overall system (ore to consumer) is energy negative due to the material (magnesium, high temp steels, solar pannels) processing and forming energy debit.

8. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Related article

4m^2 lens? For 400 Whr during daylight only?

9. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Why not just use the lazer to make steam and forget the other part?

10. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

No sun at night....;)

11. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

So I guess the question is: Dose Magnesium store energy more efficently then say a Lead acid battery or a gel pack?

I look forward to hearing the answer.

12. StianM

StianM Senior Member

I have seen sugestions about stooring energy in compresed nitrogen.

A pump compress nitrogen and is running as generator when the nitrogen is decompresed.
    They use something similar on hydraulics where they store energy in big tanks with a membrane containing nitrogen. No idea what the english name is.

13. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Let's say this feasible. That I build such combustion machine on my boat.

It's simple, just add water.

Now, I would need to store that magnesium on my boat, and I would need to make sure, I didn't add water. On a boat?

Seriously, having such a volatile thing om my boat? A product that react to water in a way that resembles gasoline?

Other than that, it sounds excellent! Imagine having this a genset connected to an electric engine! Nice!

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

My impression of the technology (the link in post 1 is broken, btw) is that metallic magnesium is being used as an intermediary, ie. a storage medium, between a stationary solar collector and a mobile engine. Much like hydrogen, produced by electrolyzing water via solar-generated electricity, can be stored and later burned in an engine or reacted in a fuel cell. The magnesium or hydrogen is used, in its elemental (high chemical potential energy) state, as a storage medium.
    Crude oil is, in a way, similar. It stores in its chemical bonds a large amount of energy that was absorbed many millions of years ago, and is now being released as we burn it. Perhaps the most important difference is that the process of restoring water or magnesium oxide to hydrogen or magnesium, respectively, would be repeated at will by us, while the process of converting plant matter to crude oil ceased with the evolution of organisms capable of decomposing plant matter, and cannot now be restarted.
    The magnesium-based system being discussed here has a significant advantage over hydrogen-based storage systems, in that the energy density is probably a lot better. I have to agree with DB, though, that it is a dangerous proposition onboard a boat.

15. murdomack

murdomack New Member

An accumulator? Boyle's Law, PV=k

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.