Latest Batteries Tech

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Yobarnacle, Dec 10, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I post to be in reception of this threads info, with thanks Geo.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Welcome aboard, Geo.

3. Yobarnacle

How about I buy a pair of these? Then the batteries. General public respects the MINN KOTA brand. What's the judgement of the professionals?

Ebay Price: $126.84
    FOR Minn Kota MK 315 On-Board Charger 3 banks 15 amps 12V 1823150

OR $343.99 FOR

MK 460D (4 bank).4 bank x 15 amps for a total of 60 amps total output.
    Our digital on-board chargers are engineered with a micro-processor-based design to protect your battery, charge faster and help you stay on the water longer.

Monitors temperature and state-of-charge.
    Enhanced status codes display charge stage, maintenance mode status, any error notifications and full charge. Automatic shut-off feature extends battery life by shutting down when charging is complete. Mounts conveniently in the battery compartment.

FeaturesSupport.4 charging banks
    15 amps per bank
    60 amps total output
    Recovery Time: 3-5 hours
    Size: 14-½" length x 6-¾" width x 8" height
    Weight: 31 lbs.
    Digitally-controlled microprocessor design protects your batteries so you can stay on the water longer
    Up to 2X faster charging in high temperatures
    Enhanced status codes provide comprehensive feedback on charge stage, maintenance mode status, error notification
    and full charge Convenient on-board mounting eliminates
    the hassle of traditional portable chargers
    Fully automatic multi-stage charging (bulk, absorption and maintenance) so you get a full charge every time
    Automatic temperature compensation delivers fast charging recovery, even in extreme temperatures, while protecting your
    batteries from overcharging Waterproof*, shock- and vibration-resistant aluminum construction
    Short circuit, reverse polarity and ignition protection

Saltwater tested and fully resistant to corrosion
    For use with 12, 24, 36 or 48 volt systems with 12V / 6-cell batteries that are flooded/wet cell, maintenance free or starved electrolyte (AGM) only (60-180 amp hour rating)
    FCC compliant
    Warranty: 3 year

UL listed to marine standard 1236
    Includes: one pre-wired on-board marine battery charger with four 6' fused output cables and one 6' AC power cord, installation instructions and owners manual
    Manufactuer item #1824605

Attached Files:

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Regarding the chargers- Where did those specs come from? They are different from the ones I found. The four banker would probably work. Its a fairly new product. I didn't find any reviews. At 12kwh, I think you should stick with 24 volts, not drop down to twelve. The spec says up to 180 ah (a different spec says 130 ah for same unit). What happens when you hook up to 460 ah/feed ? (two banks of 4 X 2 at 115 ah each with two 12v feeds to each bank?) If the answer to these questions is it will work ok, then that's a substantial savings. The recovery time is still the same at about 20 hours, since 30 A @24 V = 60 A @ 12 V.

5. Yobarnacle

I copied the data on the Ebay description. Maybe the seller fudged?

6. callering

callering Carl

Hi,
    www.northstarbattery.com check the blue series and read the specs. You can charge them wildly if you like. I think there is no better. And another thing that always is forgotten- never discharge with more 10%. This is very, very important. Guess why?
    Carl

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

8. bman

bman New Member

Come on fellas,this is 2013.You dont mess with dinotech lead/acid in the 21st century.BALQON has 260ah 3.2v cells for $205.Eight of these will give you 7 to 8 hours steaming time and weigh about 150lbs They even look pretty and have a warranty.

9. bman

bman New Member

Thats at your specified 30amps.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.