Diesel/Electric Propulsion for Sailboats

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by westsail42, Nov 3, 2005.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

If anybody cares to look at "How it's made" on TV, they have a segment on Lithium batteries. You can buy those I think. It was pretty informative.

I still think the 'homemade' method I suggested for small boats is about the only workable Petrolium/Electric method workable with the Technology we have today.
    If you get out of that range it gets too expensive, too heavy and too dangerous to be useful.

2. SFcruiser

SFcruiser Junior Member

Sure, I would like to do it after I read through the thread. :)

SFcruiser

3. bit

bit Student

Variable pitch propeller to turn left on a boat to go sailing can recharge the batteries?
    Speed 8-9 knots.
    Thank you

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Variable pitch propeller to turn left on a boat to go sailing can recharge the batteries? Speed 8-9 knots. "

Sure , of you drop a pail overboard that is the same diameter of the boats propeller , you will get a good indication of the charging drag at that speed.

IF it doesn't slow you down more than you wish a small alt on the prop shaft will do fine.

Be SURE the boats tranny can take free wheeling for hours , some can , some melt.

FF

5. jimshort19

jimshort19 jimshort19

After a ton of batteries is installed at a cost of $2-$3.00 per ah the life cycle cost far exceeds fossil fuels. Do the math based on 5 year replacement. Then the range is relatively poor. The charging and electric motor losses make the drive less efficient than staight diesel drive. And all of the additional expense of the installation is for less noise?

I suggest a better muffler system would make far more sense. With automotive silencing effectiveness the engine would make the same noise whether in a car, a generator or a sailboat. Less noise is good!

6. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Very bad idea indeed. No exceptions
    100% in favour of that 60V compulsory limit, 48V being preferable, for leisure boats.

Big systems more than 60 Volts should require a specific driving licence option and periodic visits for conformity, just like for commercial boats.

7. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Yes less noise is good, just like less weight and better manoeuvrability.
    If batteries last 10 years ?

8. mp459

mp459 Junior Member

This is an issue. Anything more than 40-50V is considered high voltage. Despite safety concerns,there's a perception that anytyhing more than 40ish DC is dangerous. At a best, this will affect adoption rates. At worst it would start being further regulated. I'm all for further regulation as long as it comes from standards bodies rather than some fat cat in DC. (And I'm from DC :)

As for AC vs. DC safety– would someone please show me some research that shows that voltage-for-voltage, one is less or more safe than the other? I haven't found anything.

9. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Amps dangerous, volt too but chronicly, long time

more than 30 mAmp are enough to kill you.
    So for 50 volts you internal resistance need to be 1.6 Kohms. Cover with salt, sweating water and salt, large contact surface with skin, i wouldn't be surprise if you can make it , any one knows about this ?

10. mp459

mp459 Junior Member

Heheheh, so we take some large copper plates and tape them to our sweaty bodies after we've been working in the bilge. Might as well add some conductive grease to make sue. I can think of easier ways (not to mention less stinky ones) if that's your exit plan...

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

And more regulations to keep us on the hard.
    For my fellow members interested in a deeper insight into marine propulsion efficiency I´ll provide some links. Start here:
    http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/20070607/
    goto "content" then page 82 "Hybrid Marine Power" read the article in the following issues too.
    And do´nt forget to dl this (achieving the impossible), it may save you several thousands of $ or €...:
    http://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/white-papers/

And if ever possible, affordable and senseful (not for runabouts) install a CPP with a Diesel! Your engine manufacturer will hate you, you´ll never buy a new one!

Regards
    Richard

12. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Voltage limit

i was thinking 60v because "Darwin awards"" winner are common including child playing the electrician.

We could learn to accept more volts in a boat if access is controlled and limited
    100% Galvanic separation with all the user products to prevent accidental pollution.
    And as we talk safety and electricity, i should do a lightning protection too.
    More important than funny or cool devices !

13. mp459

mp459 Junior Member

Looks like another e-motion fan. Welcome to the club. (oh wait, you've been here a while).
    But, to admit ignorance: What is CPP ?
    Y

14. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

I do not know either, where does "CPP" comes from ? Never heard before, sorry !
    But might just be a question of vocabulary i miss in english

Planes use 28 volts, 110, 220 volts, but access is...restricted and controled

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009

15. mp459

mp459 Junior Member

Apex brought up CPP: "install a CPP with a Diesel!"

As for power, remember, boats use 120 volts, 220 Volts as well, on the AC side. So it's not a matter of voltage.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.