Plyboats on Win 98.SE

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by ThomD, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I want to review some old files created in plyboats. I'm selling a boat, and it would be good if I could include the plans with it. While plyboats has run over the years on my Win 98 box, currently the versions I load either flicker on the screen in plyboats blue/blur, or I get the whole screen but seem incapable of accessing any of the functions. I may be able to find an older platform in a museum or something, but any suggestions on how I might regain control would be appreciated.

2. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

What system are you currently using? WinXP? Check that you are running in compatibility mode.

Or do you mean that you have an old system with win98 that is acting up on you?

3. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Thanks,

I have an old system in win 98 that is fluky with it. Never fully compatible, but it does work on this computer, or has in the past. I didn't know it would even have a hope on XP, though I don't have that, so it won't help me. I hear there is an XP version.

Mine was originally copy 33 of the program, and I ran it in DOS on a then Win 3.1 system at the time I bought it. I was reading something on the net the other day, and it mentioned some designers still using it!

4. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

I've poked around a bit, and besides recovery of existing designs it doesn't look like that software is worth using.

You say it is a DOS program? Have you tried it in DOSBox? Depending on just how old your system is, you may need to find a friend with newer hardware to run it properly. Odd I know, but it is the price we pay for emulation.

5. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Funny, there are a few big name designers who stick with it. Not sure why in their cases. If the design one has works in plyboats, it gives very good results, so there isn't any real reason not to use it other than the built in obsolescence that characterizes software.

Up until 2006 when it seems to have stopped being made, or something, there were still people sticking with it in preference to more advanced programs. I can use other stuff, but there are a lot more steps if I don't need the features. It is probably hopeless for people who design for show or enjoyment, vs making boats. If a person really wants to kick out some panels...

What is DOSBox? I will google, but if you want to add something...

Thanks for the help. I have used some plyboats hulls in NB if that counts as locally.

6. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Found DODbox! I will see if that does anything.

I guess another thing is that at time it's just fun to play with the old stuff. I probably won't stay long. The reality is than an hours work on plyboats can tie one up for a decade!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.