Modern computing options?

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by LP, Oct 25, 2011.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I'm a post modernistic pro-anti-computer Windows 98 was tops type of a techno person. :D:D:D

Actually, I'm looking at a replacement for my current laptop. I'm running an HP Pavillion zv6000 with an onboard ATI graphics card w/ dedicated graphics memory. This is pre-dual-core stuff and I have not followed how the dual core systems work. I know that heavily scripted websites make my cooling fans go into overdrive.

The proliferation touch screen notepads has me wondering about the viability of such a system to run 3D cad software. I am PC based so the I-Pads are not of interest, but I did recently see a Windows/PC based system.

Two main questions:

Are notepad computers advanced enough to run 3D CAD software? Size, portablility and weight are my biggest interest in these devices.

Does multi-core technology reduce the need (or advantage) of using a dedicated 3D graphics card?

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I've used Rhino on several laptops very successfully without any problems. I'm amazed at the performance available for $600 or so. At last year's IBEX a talk on Rhino was given using a notepad computer for the demos. But for a few dollars more you can have a laptop with considerably faster processor and more memory.

Dual core doesn't seem to do much for graphics. Get a machine with either decent integrated (on the motherboard) graphics or a separate graphics card.

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Lp,

I am not a techie, but from my experience no tablet will give you the type of power you need for 3d cad (this from my iPad). And the little notepads have even less power, and you pay a lot for the size relative to the processing power of them.

My advice would be either a laptop, or something like the Mac Air. Ultralight, very powerful, and the switch to Macs is pretty seamless for most people. As a 5 year convert to macs, I now hate having to screw around with PC's. Instead of trying to get the computer to work, I get to work instead, it is a nice world to live in.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I agree with this advice.
    Don't get a Mac because you can never be sure that the next program you really want will work on it.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Leo,

Take a look at http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ it will allow you to run Windows natively at full speed.

And traditionally macs are better at graphics, and design work than PC's. I can't speak for cad software though.

Even as a true believer in Macs I would go that route unless the software you plan to use supports it. It just isn't worth the risk. However I would add to the it budget in that case.

6. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Thanks for all of the input here. I feel another expensive laptop on the horizon. The power in a laptop is pretty impressive. I haven't own a desktop computer in years.

Another query though if anyone might care to answer. In no promotion of the website, when I go to <www.realtor.com>, my once powerful laptop turns into a slug. It is a heavily scripted site with exceptional interactivity. However, as mentioned before, my cooling fans go into overdrive and page loading speed takes a dive.

Can anyone tell me if multi-core technology is devised to handle scripting like this or am I looking at some other problem with an older technology computer?

For reference, I'm runnng an Athlon 64 3200+ at 1.79 GHz, and 1.25 GB of RAM. It also has an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M w/ 128 MB of dedicated RAM.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Yes!

dual core with 4 gig and decent graphics will do you wonders. You can get these for under $500...(under $400 if you go re-furbished). I saw one on Tigerdirect.com for $349 after $50 instant rebate a few days ago.

Here is a nice one that would do you for a while...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6759733&CatId=4938

[​IMG]

If you want a bit more longevity though go with a quad core for a bit more...

something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1306296&CatId=4936

[​IMG]
    This one actually tempts me... but I have too many computers already.

8. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

In the last year, I bought two HP laptops, one for me to replace my desk top, one for my wife to replace her previous laptop. Mine is an HP Pavillion dv7t with Intel i5 dual core processor, 2.53 Ghz, 3MB cache, 512MB ATI video graphics processor, 6GB memory, 640GB HD, and a 17.3" screen. It's a big heavy machine, but I can do good graphics on it while traveling. OS is Windows 7 Professional. This does all the graphics I need for 3D modelling, drafting, and all other basic office operations.

My wife's is an HP Pavillion g6x with i3 processor, 6GB memory, 750GB HD and a 15.6" screen. This also runs Windows 7 Professional. In both systems, we need PowerPoint and Microsoft Outlook, which you can get only with MS Office Professional. My wife does not use graphics programs, but both run very fine for internet searching, which we both do a lot of. She is a writer with 3 novels published and a 4th on the way, so she is constantly doing research and needs quick graphics for that.

Two things to consider: HP just announced that they might be selling off their PC business. It is not clear yet if this will be a stand-alone within the HP family, or if they will sell everything outright. This announcement pissed off A LOT of people, and HP had to send out a correction. In fact, the manager that made that announcement has been fired because it was not handled well. Just be aware of that. I wrote to the VP in charge of PCs, and he wrote a very nice letter back right away explaining that they do have to make changes in their business structure, but they certainly don't want to leave their customers hanging. I take it as a positive sign that I got a reply, especially a quick reply.

The other thing to be aware of is that older programs, even those for Windows 2000, will not necessarily work on W7 machines. So much changed that you have to upgrade practically all your programs. I had to buy new AutoCad and Rhino programs and new MS Office Pro. Also, my DOS based programs could not run, and you have to create a virtual PC in Windows XP mode to do that. Instrucions are provided with W7, so it can be done. It is a bit of a pain in the *** that programs are not backwardly compatible. I also found out that whereas before the computers were more expensive than the software, now the reverse is true--the programs are more expensive than the computers.

I hope that helps.

Eric

9. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

HP just announced that they will be keeping their PC business. I suspect the "manager" you are refering to was the CEO who was fired shortly after the earlier announcement.

10. Eric Sponberg

I just saw that this morning in my local newspaper. This is really good news. I really like my HP computers and the customer service I have received so far--which is nil, by the way. There were one or two issues with set up of the new machines, and they were great.

Eric

11. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Thanks. I know there are emulators out there, but they sometimes have problems.

Traditionally :) they are also more expensive, aren't faster, and there is less software written for them.

12. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Macs are usually chosen for graphics design, but Windows based machines are usually chosen for engineering and surface design. Most CAD software and surface design software appears to run under Windows but not the native MAC operating system.

13. Frog4

Frog4 Proletariat

14. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Emulators do not deliver quite the same performance as running natively on Windows or Linux. It is perfectly OK for occasional use, for example running some utility program. You can however install Windows under Bootcamp and then you run native Windows at the speed the hardware delivers.

True that there are more CAD programs for Windows than for Mac, but that does not mean that there are no CAD programs, in fact there are lots of them.

A much more relevant question though is whether the program you actually going to use runs on Macs. In my case, they do.

Though having access to Windows machines, I always prefer Macs when having a choice. They are expensive to buy, but that is completely overshadowed by problem-free running. As a professional user, a day or two without working due to a breakdown costs far more than buying the computer. Reliability and fuss-free running simply mean everything.

15. Eric Sponberg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.